• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

mismatch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mismatch

it's has never ceased to amaze me that in the aircraft industry (engineering) that there is a certain amount of loathe towards contractors to the point of being down right rude as if you are the scum of the earth who have never even seen an aircraft let alone worked on one , this misconception rains all over and considering that most connies have been at this game for 25yrs or more angers most to the point of all out war some times , so have other members come accross this in there travels

Pretty much the same in all sectors. It's all part of the 'act': putting up with the crap you get in so many different ways.

At the current client, one of their permie senior programmer didn't know that Java needed to be compiled. (Java is the project language, and the projects been going 2+ years.) Yet talks to the contractors on his team like they don't know what they're doing. Sheet, the bad decisions he's made (and continues to make) have caused my team two extensions on this job so far...

You might be tempted to go to the management and report such things as being the cause of project delays. All that'll earn you is a tag of 'not a team player'.

Don't sweat it, as long as the invoices get paid, why care?

As a coping method one of the esteemed members of this board rates insults by minutes they charge on the time sheet.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I like to take my cue on such matters from Chairman Mao :

It is good if we are attacked by the enemy, since it proves that we have drawn a clear line of demarcation between the enemy and ourselves. It is still better if the enemy attacks us wildly and paints us as utterly black and without a single virtue; it demonstrates that we have not only drawn a clear line of demarcation between the enemy and ourselves but achieved a great deal in our work.

Comment

Grow a thick skin...

Smile sweetly and think of your nice house, car or holidays you have.

I do.

Comment

I have been on a gig where the staff refused to talk to contractors. I was given the spec, told to do the job and nobody spoke to me in 6 months.

I enjoy a bit of workplace chat/banter but 6 months without even a conversation is brutal.

But I was pulling in 4 times what they did so I never gave a ****.

Comment

I did a gig a few years ago where one of the girls in accounts spread around what we contractors were getting paid - the top line including the pimp's cut.

Caused no end of ill feeling among the permies who saw themselves as doing the same job as us for a fraction of what they thought we were getting paid.

Still, got a full year out of that gig you just need a thick skin.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Worked in aircraft a lot, BAE at Filton, Preston, Chatham, Derby, Lucas Birmingham, Smiths Cheltenham. Can't really say I have, not once.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
              X