• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Very Sad. Very very sad, this.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Sad. Very very sad, this.

I was walking back home across Tescos car park on Sunday am. Cold wet, howling icy wind, carrying my leg of lamb and winter vegetables, thinking about making my garlic caremalised raost tea.
    There was an invalidity mobility scooter thingy, on a sort of collision course with me, so I changed direction. The scooter changed direction. Ok, this person wants to chat to me, I thought.

It was an old lady, and she said something about being closed. So I pointed over to Tescos, she says , no, the post office , it's closed.
    Then she asked me what day it was. Sunday. She looked crestfallen and scooted off home.

It sort of dawned on me that I was probably the only person she had spoken to for ages. She didnt even know what day it was.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    She didn't even know what day it was.
    It's not that sad. That's common enough amongst pensioners, the unemployed, long term off sick and benchees. It's the absence of the 5 day working week. I frequently don't know what day of the week it is, nor does my retired Dad, nor does a mate of mine who's been off sick for the last few months.

Don't worry about it.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      It's not that sad. That's common enough amongst pensioners, the unemployed, long term off sick and benchees. It's the absence of the 5 day working week. I frequently don't know what day of the week it is, nor does my retired Dad, nor does a mate of mine who's been off sick for the last few months.

Don't worry about it.
      Well I had 10 years on the dolio , but I always knew when it was a Sunday. Probably because the Onedin line was on.

It was the lack of human contact that I was on about RC. How about you ? are you getting enough

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)

Comment

This is why I suspect I'll never stop working in retirement. Even if I am financially secure I'll probably start volunteering or working for a charity just to keep the brain engaged.

Comment

There was an invalidity mobility scooter thingy, .....
          Fraking hate those things and their drivers. I could rant for England about them. So I'd better shut up now.

She didnt even know what day it was.
          Welcome to my world.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Yeh, never know what day it is either, I usually add two to what I think it is.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

It was the lack of human contact that I was on about RC.

Too true. I bet she hasn't got a post count as high as yours...
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post

the milk of human kindness runs like a river through here
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

It sort of dawned on me that I was probably the only person she had spoken to for ages. She didnt even know what day it was.
                  She's probably suffering from mild dementia, it's more common than people like to think
                  Last edited by Spacecadet; 7 December 2009, 12:20.
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                    "she" does, that was SASGuru
                    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Working...
                    X