• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Germany as an american

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Germany as an american

Hi All

My friend is based in the US and has the offer of a 12 month contract in Germany. He didn't tell the agency he only had an american passport until he got the offer. Is there anyway he can get a work permit for this work?

Originally posted by spudbynight View Post
    Hi All

My friend is based in the US and has the offer of a 12 month contract in Germany. He didn't tell the agency he only had an american passport until he got the offer. Is there anyway he can get a work permit for this work?
    I believe he will need a residence permit which should be obtained from the local consulate. Different is < 3 months.

Some info to get him started.

http://www.german-way.com/expat_visa01.html

Comment

Can that be used for a contract with an agency rather than a permanent job?

Comment

US resident, working in Germany, asking question on UK board... Quality
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by spudbynight View Post
          Can that be used for a contract with an agency rather than a permanent job?
          Dunno. Never stayed their long enough myself.

Whether it's the same in Germany as France I don't know (When I was in France you didn't need a carte de sejour unless you were in the country continuously for a period of 15 days, thus it was easily possible to play lip service to the rules if your engager was prepared to as well. The rules have all changed now though).

You friend should be asking his local consulate really.

I'm sure the German contingent will be along to give absolute chapter and verse.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post

You friend should be asking his local consulate really.
              He has asked me to ask some questions for him as he lives in California so the time zones are a bit of a problem. He didn't get a helpful answer from his local consulate.

Comment

I don't think Google understands time differences:

http://germany.usembassy.gov/acs/wor...n_germany.html

Once in Germany, the following procedure generally applies for job seekers:
                Once you have an offer of employment and have registered your residence,
                1. go to the Ausländerbehörde (Immigration Office).
                  • Check with your local Einwohnermeldeamt or Rathaus for the exact address and office hours of the Ausländerbehörde in your city.
                2. They will check whether the general legal prerequisites are fulfilled for issuing an "Aufenthaltserlaubnis". If these are fulfilled,
                  • the immigration authorities request approval from the "Bundesagentur für Arbeit" (Federal Employment Agency) for taking up employment in a particular job for which you are applying.
                  • Approval is only given if the job cannot be filled by a German, EU citizen or other applicants given preferential treatment (e.g. third-country nationals who have been living in Germany for a longer period of time). This is known as the Priority Principle ("Vorrangprinzip"). After a specific period of time has lapsed, it is possible for the U.S. citizen applicant to have the same access to the labor market as German and EU citizens.
                His employer will probably have to sponsor him as well. Pretty much like an EU citizen wanting to work in the USA.
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  I don't think Google understands time differences:

http://germany.usembassy.gov/acs/wor...n_germany.html

His employer will probably have to sponsor him as well. Pretty much like an EU citizen wanting to work in the USA.
                  Yes, we found that with google - but that is all really tied into permanent work isn't it? What about for a contract via an agency?

Comment

Well it looks like it might be tricky. He'll probably have to get the agency to get him a permit.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X