• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Property and other assets through the business

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property and other assets through the business

Lots of talk on the board today about warchests.

I would be really appreciative of some advice

I am in my mid-thirties and have focused on driving down the mortgage for the last 5/6 years. So my warchest is circa £40K (clear)

I am now getting to nearly the end of paying off the mortgage, I have got married and we are now going to escape the country. So this property is going to be sold next year and a new (probably more expensive) property will be purchased.

I was thinking about my options.

I see the house that I have paid for very much as my pension pot + deposit for a new house.

So here is the multi-part question to my esteemed colleagues:

1: Should I put all of the money from this house into the new house lowering mortgage payments and hence debt level at the start, allowing a quicker exit from debt, or should I just pay the minimum deposit and invest the rest of the money in another pot (maybe even a holiday property) which is specific for the pension and doesn't represent the house that we live in.

2: Can/Should I be investing in investment opportunities from with the business. If I am comfortable with a liquid warchest of £40K should I then look to begin a portfolio of other investments (shares, property, gold etc) from within the business, with any income over and above the £40K. With the intention being that these will represent income streams other than consultancy in the mid to long term future.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
    I am in my mid-thirties and have focused on driving down the mortgage for the last 5/6 years. So my warchest is circa £40K (clear)
    You were a sucker mate, no offence.

Instead of spending your hard earned money on paying off mortgage you should have used it to create highly leveraged BTL - low interest rates now, thanks to Nu Liebor, printing of money that helps sustain inflated asset prices makes anyone who tried to paid off mortgage early a fool.

Yours,

Gordon Brown.

Comment

it is my humble opinion that for those of us who subscribe to the idea that QE will bring inflation now is indeed a good time to get mortgaged up and see that debt inflated down to something very small as has been witnessed in the past

atb

&

ttfn

Milan.

Comment

Working...
      X