• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The ghostly smell is back.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ghostly smell is back.

This is not one of my gags.

Just before the door to the kitchen, I can smell something very faintly. To be blunt: cat’s pee. I take half a step back or forward and I can smell nothing.

I thought I had figured it out the other week as coming from another flat or the communal parts of the building via the risers, but there is no trace of smell from where they are.

Wierd.

I was in two minds about keeping this place on, but now I think I've made my mind up.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post

Just before the door to the kitchen, I can smell something very faintly. To be blunt: cat’s pee. I take half a step back or forward and I can smell nothing.

I thought I had figured it out the other week as coming from another flat or the communal parts of the building via the risers, but there is no trace of smell from where they are.

Wierd.

I was in two minds about keeping this place on, but now I think I've made my mind up.
    spookyville.

I have had this wierd garlicky smell following me round all day. I could do with some cats pee to drown it out

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

We had that in one house we were renting. Especially in a particular bedroom. I mentioned it to the landlord: "Yeah, that's the room she died in. Cancer. I looked after until the end."

Spooky, huh?

I looked pensive.

"I hope the smell has now gone" he said. "I did try cleaning the carpet but when I walked on certain floorboards I could still smell it. Her incontinence was quite bad those last few weeks."

I reckon your ghost is probably a dead rodent in the floor recess.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Having had the delightful experience I can say that a house where a corpse has lain for ages still stinks weeks later even after the council has fumigated. Why can't they genetically engineer bacteria that generate perfume? Or they could rewire our brains so stinky things smell good, what a saving on deodourants and lav cleaners.

PS Probably wrong time of year but any box hedges outside? Some can smell it, some can't but if you can it smells like cat pee.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 7 December 2009, 16:01.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Having had the delightful experience I can say that a house where a corpse has lain for ages still stinks weeks later even after the council has fumigated. Why can't they genetically engineer bacteria that generate perfume? Or they could rewire our brains so stinky things smell good, what a saving on deodourants and lav cleaners.

PS Probably wrong time of year but any box hedges outside? Some can smell it, some can't but if you can it smells like cat pee.
          Probably outweighed by the cost of burying the people who died whilst eating feacally contaminated material.
          Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Wierd.

Is "just before the door to the kitchen" carpeted? If so and people have been tramping in and out it's inevitable that some grease and suchlike from the kitchen floor will have been trampled into the carpet at that point.

Alternatively, does the cooker need a clean? Goo round the rings can smell a bit rank if it is repeatedly wetted and warmed and added to

Mind you, in neither of those cases would one necessarily expect the smell to be localized as you describe.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I'm on the third floor so I doubt if it's coming from the bushes outside. The floor is solid and tiled so there is nothing underneath or from the carpet. I don't have a cooker (don't ask!)

I've given the whole place a good dose of 'Oust' and I can't smell it at the moment.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I take half a step back or forward and I can smell nothing.
                You wazzock! You've pissed in your shoe!
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Having had the delightful experience I can say that a house where a corpse has lain for ages still stinks weeks later even after the council has fumigated.
                  I have had that as well. I will never forget that smell and I worked as a butcher for 5 years and smelt a lot of disgusting things.

Comment

thats a good skill that.
                    Was it an apprenticeship ?
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X