• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Catch 22, God where are you!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catch 22, God where are you!

Hello to all IT contractors from the UK. I would like to introduce myself as a PHP / Mysql , Apache mod_rewrite and Search Engine marketing expert.

I have all it takes to be successful at a job titled "Webmaster". I have been planning to come to the UK for sometime now. But everytime i decide to give it a go, a catch 22 situation pops up from nowhere.

The first catch 22 i faced was to find a permanent job in the UK. Not many companies advertise work permit sponsorships and its hard to "visit" companies without having a visa first.

Then Eureka! I found a company which can sponsor me a work permit, provided i can get a minimum 6-month contract from a UK based company.

Yeah you guessed it right. Now I face another catch 22 situation. Every contract job i apply for returns "application rejected" as i am currently not eligible to work in the UK and I wont be eligible unless i get a contract of at least 6 months duration first. I've tried explaining the situation to companies in my cover letter and resume, but they simply dont have the time to pay attention to such detail and they ignore it thinking I am applying for work permit sponsorship based job (which i am not).

Please suggest what i can do to get a 6 month contract job so that the 3rd company can sponsor my work permit

Errr that sounds downright...well wrong. How can one company "sponsor" you without employing you? If that is possible and legal then it damn well should not be as kills the whole point of sponsorship.

This sounds like a scam to be honest, you find a contract and either a) they nick it from you or b) you end up paying them a percentage the whole time

Honestly doubt any company would go near you after you explained that senario, i know i would not as it would be just asking to get burned one way or the other.

BTW side note, with that skillset would not recommend coming over here, jobs for people with that particular type skills get offshored (probably some to whatever country you are in now) more than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise

BTW side note, with that skillset would not recommend coming over here, jobs for people with that particular type skills get offshored (probably some to whatever country you are in now) more than anything else.
      Well there's a shortage of Search Engine Marketers in the UK is what I found out. Why wouldnt any company sponsor me if I can get their website into google top 10. There arent many successful online retailers in the UK is why I say there is a shortage of people with search engine knowledge. PHP / Mysql that i know acts as a big support to my search engine knowledge and makes me an even better option as a search engine marketer. I dont want to join a company as a php programmer as thats not my specialty, but as a Search Engine Marketer or Webmaster yes. Recently I had a environmental product selling site listed #1 on google for its best keyword. So the fact of the matter is I dont lack ability to get to the UK its just that I cant find the right opening as of now. The reason why I chose UK over US is that I am a huge soccer fan. I still have openings available to me in the US next october so I guess if the UK doesnt work out, then i would have to go to the US

Comment

The other problem you face is that there is not an official skills shortage for IT workers in the UK - so the DTI wont give you a work permit and unless your current employer brings you over on a temporary visa, any other legal route in is closed.

So it's a shame that a skilled and no doubt genuine worker can't get work here, but blame the people who have been abusing the rules and forced the tightening up. Mind you, form over here, that's actually a good thing
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Another problem i will face is that I am a freakin 22 yr old. I
          have a bachelor's degree of 4 yrs duration in my hand so at least I am eligible. All the work I have done in the past has been while I was still in college. I was working freelance so there's not much of documentation I can produce. But come what may I am gonna give it my best shot to the first opportunity to get in. Sometimes I even get frustrated that I cant watch Manchester United games live in the stadium and sing the famous english soccer chant, but I know I will get the opportunity when the time is ripe and till then i shall wait with patience.

Cheers.

Comment

Ot

Originally posted by phpexpert
            Sometimes I even get frustrated that I cant watch Manchester United games live in the stadium and sing the famous english soccer chant.
            OT I know, but don't worry, most Manchester United fans don't bother with the stadium, that's reserved for corporate guests.

The real fans only watch games on satellite TV, from sitting rooms and pubs in a part of the country we call "the south east".

Why don't you support Bangalore Athletic instead, or whatever your local team is?

Comment

Originally posted by stackpole
              OT I know, but don't worry, most Manchester United fans don't bother with the stadium, that's reserved for corporate guests.

The real fans only watch games on satellite TV, from sitting rooms and pubs in a part of the country we call "the south east".

Why don't you support Bangalore Athletic instead, or whatever your local team is?
              How about lets exchange places and you support the local clubs here and i go watch the soccer games over there. Then you will know what the state of soccer is in this country. (and my local team isnt Bangalore athletic). If you can watch soccer games here for a month, I'd sponsor your stay in this country for your entire life!

As far as Manchester United games are concerned, they dont get a 60k corporate guests to watch games, ticket prices may be high but i dont mind that at all.

You speak as if you came from the Arse...nal . Anyway I support the english soccer team in general. And I really think they're gonna lift the cup this time in Germany. Beg to differ?

Comment

Sorry and all that but the harsh truth is that unless you are an EU resident (and you clearly aren't) there is no work here for you. And as someone straight out of Uni you don't exactly qualify for a highly qualified immigrant place. So dry your eyes and pick a more realistic target before your peers nick all the good jobs.

BTW footie's a crap game these days anyway.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Hmmm, you're 22 years old and have a Batchelors Degree... Where the feck from? Bangalore?

Comment

I do qualify for the HSMP. My last 12 month income is through the roof as any search engine marketer's would be. I got an official assessment done on workpermit.com and they say i qualify. But I am not sure if this will be the first case of its kind for the British Home Office for a HSMP application. The only reason i see my HSMP could get rejected is my age. And thats a very strong reason. So thats why i am trying for a direct work permit first

Comment

Working...
                    X