• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stress & economic climate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stress & economic climate

Things are getting crowded and stressful out here on the bench. Agents are getting more and more on my nerves!

How are others coping with the stress of being on the bench and seeing the war chest and savings deplete like sand falling out the hourglass? Any suggestions?!

What in reality is open to us as contractors to ease the financial burden? My understanding was that we cant even claim job-seekers allowance unless we close the Co. Is this true?!

"The End" is fast approaching so all useful suggestions gratefully receved!! W are currently looking at what assets can be easily liquidated.

Welcome to 2010.....!!

Originally posted by Mustang View Post

Welcome to the end result of all Labour governments.....!!

Comment

What in reality is open to us as contractors to ease the financial burden? My understanding was that we cant even claim job-seekers allowance unless we close the Co. Is this true?!
      No this is not true - the PCG re-released an article about this recently.

Comment

Doesn't bother me. I see this as the flip side to the 8 month boring contract I finished in June. The mistake is in thinking your monthly income is a monthly income. You need to take the long term view.

However company funds are running low and February will be the last month I'll be able to pay myself any salary if nothing changes, so maybe I'll start to take it seriously then.

And yes of course you can claim benefits if you have no income. I'll be at the Job Centre on the first of March. Can't wait.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Agents are getting more and more on my nerves!
          Indeed they do.

How are others coping with the stress of being on the bench
          There's lots in this thread. But primarily, ensure you always have a spare, clean, dressing gown.

No, you can claim benefits while on the bench.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            It's only fair with all that NI we pay in the good times

Comment

I know what you are saying - a picture fell of my wall in the south wing at the weekend and it is going to cost 12 grand to get the frame mended. I wouldn't mind but we only paid 35k for the picture at auction last year.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
                I know what you are saying - a picture fell of my wall in the south wing at the weekend and it is going to cost 12 grand to get the frame mended. I wouldn't mind but we only paid 35k for the picture at auction last year.

PZZ
                I might have known there would be at least one that didnt take this post seriously!!

Comment

To everyone else - thanks for the input!

Comment

Working...
                  X