• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DIY Question - Cutting Skirting Boards

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Question - Cutting Skirting Boards

I've got to replace the skirting boards in my kitchen. I've done the job before in my bathroom with a hand mitre saw and it was a complete nightmare as the thing was so damn rickety & the lengths so long that it was impossible to keep them perfectly horizontal as I was cutting. I wasted a lot of wood and tore out a lot of hair as a result. Is there a better way to do this? I don't want to spend loads on a powertool but not sure if those cheapo electric mitre saws you get in Homebase & B&Q are any good for this.

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    I've got to replace the skirting boards in my kitchen. I've done the job before in my bathroom with a hand mitre saw and it was a complete nightmare as the thing was so damn rickety & the lengths so long that it was impossible to keep them perfectly horizontal as I was cutting. I wasted a lot of wood and tore out a lot of hair as a result. Is there a better way to do this? I don't want to spend loads on a powertool but not sure if those cheapo electric mitre saws you get in Homebase & B&Q are any good for this.
    Bought a McAllister Red Eye from B&Q. Electric mitre saw and laser guide. £80. Built all my handrail, banister, spindles using it. Well worth the £80 and now my favourite tool. I would sleep with it if could. (In the teddy bear sense)

If you trot it out once a year for 3 years it's paid for itself. Mine has paid for itself already as the chippies quote as £1500 and I did it meeself for £270 (including tool)

You're off the bench aren't you? Celebrate with a McAllister Red Eye.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I find cheapo tools are fine for the amount of DIY use they're going to get, I bought cheap brand hammer drill that's still going strong after about 10 years.

Little point in buying a DeWalt if you're only going to drill 150 holes in a decade.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

You're off the bench aren't you? Celebrate with a McAllister Red Eye.
        Have you thought about doing a slot on 'bid up TV'?
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Would say also: McAllister Red Eye from B&Q. Electric mitre saw and laser guide like the other guy sais. Works for me.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            Have you thought about doing a slot on 'bid up TV'?
            I use my McCallister Router for doing slots.

HAB is banned from making a smutty remark in a perfectly innocent DIY thread.

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
              Would say also: McAllister Red Eye from B&Q. Electric mitre saw and laser guide like the other guy sais. Works for me.

PZZ
              A double act?

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                A double act?
                Busted. He is my sockie and not a convincing one. I'll hand him in now. Mods take him away.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  Bought a McAllister Red Eye from B&Q. Electric mitre saw and laser guide. £80
                  Link

Now £69.99. Might just get it to add to the 2 red eyes I'll have tomorrow morning

Comment

depends on the size of skirting - if its 7" torus then these B&Q ones don't do it.

I've a compound mitre saw in the shed and I used it for living room and its fantastic

Comment

Working...
                    X