• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Now that's more like it!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that's more like it!

Telegraph: 'Cut 1 million public sector jobs to pay off Britain's debts'

Now double it and then it will begin to get close to what has to be done.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

But we all know what will happen - nurses perm jobs will be axed and they will be replaced by agency staff, police officers will be replaced by 2x plastic plod, IT workers will be axed and replaced by large. expensive consultancies etc. etc. You reduce the perm head count, it all looks good but the bill still goes up.
    The public sector needs a major shift in its thinking if it is ever going to save money.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Bearing in mind a lot of these people will probably end up unemployed having their mortgages, council taxes, etc paid for them, will it save a lot sacking public sector minimum wager's?

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        But we all know what will happen - nurses perm jobs will be axed and they will be replaced by agency staff, police officers will be replaced by 2x plastic plod, IT workers will be axed and replaced by large. expensive consultancies etc. etc. You reduce the perm head count, it all looks good but the bill still goes up.
        The public sector needs a major shift in its thinking if it is ever going to save money.
        WSS++

The solution isn't cutting public sector jobs per se, although it will doubtless involve cutting unnecessary public sector jobs. Then again, nobody needs Reform to tell them that.

I notice that Reform's report (the inspiration for the thinly-disguised editorial HAB links to) doesn't seem to offer any concrete suggestions as to how the putative savings it speaks of might actually be achieved.

In other words, as with everything that comes out of Reform, it's a piece of vague hand-wavery along the lines of "Something must be done, this is something, therefore this must be done - but we can't say how or why because we don't know why or how."

Still, Camerloon and co will doubtless prate on about it in the vague hope that the imbeciles think they're offering solutions, when all they seem able to come up with is vacuous pseudo-policies backed up by vacuous pseudo-studies like this one.

I notice the Tories (George wotsisname? he's the fat one, isn't he?) backtracked on reform of Inheritance Tax again, basically saying that it ain't gonna happen. Did that get much coverage over in the Tory press?

Comment

The story I ready on the BBC specifically mentioned cutting costs on both permanent staff and consultants/contractors, and at the higher end of the pay ranges. Not that this should be trusted, but it's nice to hear them pretend to do something that might be sensible.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            The story I ready on the BBC specifically mentioned cutting costs on both permanent staff and consultants/contractors, and at the higher end of the pay ranges. Not that this should be trusted, but it's nice to hear them pretend to do something that might be sensible.
            That's a different story relating to the Government's pre-Budget report, and nothing to do with the Torygraph "story"/editorial based on some nonsense from the unthink-tank Reform that HAB cited as the basis for this thread.

Comment

Where my wife works in the NHS (admin), they are cutting permie staff and replacing them with businesss consultants getting paid a grand a day.

They run around high on coffee with their flip charts and meetings, permeating the feel of an investment banking atmosphere, but they dont get anything done.

The guy who is at the top there (on a £350K salary, and that's only one of his salaries!) is bringing in all his mates on lucrative contracts. Jobs for the boys.

So even if public sector jobs are cut, the expensive consultants will probably remain. It's a farce
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                Where my wife works in the NHS (admin), they are cutting permie staff and replacing them with businesss consultants getting paid a grand a day.

They run around high on coffee with their flip charts and meetings, permeating the feel of an investment banking atmosphere, but they dont get anything done.

The guy who is at the top there (on a £350K salary, and that's only one of his salaries!) is bringing in all his mates on lucrative contracts. Jobs for the boys.

So even if public sector jobs are cut, the expensive consultants will probably remain. It's a farce
                I'm contracting and that sounds like a good gig to me

On the flip side, in the same dept where I work there are senior pay rated NHS staff on far too much money doing 'jobs' that do not deliver anything, and remember they'll continue to do this until they retire and then be amply rewarded with a juicy pension.

Comment

Also police officers who are unable to work on the beat due to injury can't be given desk jobs because the desk jobs have been given to civilans, now have to be retired. More money down the drain.
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                  X