• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Online tax credit system closed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BBC
    Online applications for tax credits have been shut down because of abuse by organised crime.

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) shut down its online portal for the tax credit system late on 1 December after finding a number of fraudulent claims.

As BBC News reported in October, organised gangs have targeted the online tax credit system because they see it as an easy target.
    I'm surprised anyone noticed - millions of people were given the wrong amounts anyway.

Gordon Brown seems to have completely fecked up this particular brainchild of his.
    Last edited by wendigo100; 3 December 2005, 18:36.

The irony of the situation is that even when fraudsters get the money they will still spend them on something that will get taxed big time: VAT, duty, levies etc, so Gordon will get his money back anyway.

Comment

Gordon Brown fecks up everything.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
        The irony of the situation is that even when fraudsters get the money they will still spend them on something that will get taxed big time: VAT, duty, levies etc, so Gordon will get his money back anyway.
        Not really. If a billion is lost through fraud, and Gordon gets half back through taxes, he has still lost the other half.

(I should have said we have still lost the other half.)

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
          Not really. If a billion is lost through fraud, and Gordon gets half back through taxes, he has still lost the other half.
          No he won't lose the other half - people don't exactly save in this country and those fraudsters certainly not the savers type: they will spend all the money, which will give immediate tax revenues and whoever got the money will spend them in turn only to generate more revenue to Brown. After a few iterations like 95% of that sum will be in Brown's pockets.

Comment

Heh, what's the problem here? Anyone with half a brain could see this system was designed to be "defrauded". Anyways, if it was designed to do this, then actually how can it be described as fraud?

Supposedly this was for giving tax money back to "hard working families". How's about this for a substantially more efficient and less error prone system: don't take it off them in the first place! I know this may be a rather advanced concept, but I can assure you it will result in more money in the pockets of "hard working families". Yet, give me a break, this is the New Lie: the money was destined for some shady types and now they've paid off some terrorists and organised criminals they close this pipe down. When it comes time for the next series of payments another scam will be set up to syphon money from the public purse to them.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              No he won't lose the other half - people don't exactly save in this country and those fraudsters certainly not the savers type: they will spend all the money, which will give immediate tax revenues and whoever got the money will spend them in turn only to generate more revenue to Brown. After a few iterations like 95% of that sum will be in Brown's pockets.
              Taking that to its logical conclusion, the government could devise a policy whereby it simply handed out money to everyone, safe in the knowledge that they will eventually get it back in taxes once it has cycled a few times.

That has been tried in countless banana republics through history. It is the economics of the madhouse.

What you seem to have forgotten are the goods and services consumed on the way.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                Supposedly this was for giving tax money back to "hard working families". How's about this for a substantially more efficient and less error prone system: don't take it off them in the first place! I know this may be a rather advanced concept, but I can assure you it will result in more money in the pockets of "hard working families".
                Absolutely. Before the current government started doing it, I'd have thought only an idiot would devise a system where you have:

* one army of bureaucrats taking money away from you

* a second army giving it back, and

* a third army trying to sort out the mess created by the first two!

Gordon Brown clever? Do me a favour.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                  That has been tried in countless banana republics through history. It is the economics of the madhouse.
                  No-no-no - in banana republics only FEW people get ALL the money, thus they don't spend it all on consumption that is easy to tax -- Bill Gates is not using much more petrol than average american, so it does not work, but it works if lots of people get money: this is exactly what Brown does: he takes piece of butter and spreads it more thinly so people can't save money, all they got will have to be spend, and thus will be taxed many times over.

The only issue with fraud is that people think its "unfair" - if nobody posted about it then nobody would have noticed.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                    Gordon Brown fecks up everything.
                    Allegedly, Peter Mandelson fecked up Gordon Brown...

Or was it the other way round?

Comment

Working...
                    X