• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

May be doing a two week training stint in Bangalore in jan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May be doing a two week training stint in Bangalore in jan

Clientco have indicated I may be required to spend a couple of weeks in Bangalore in january training up a local team to continue my role (well the role of the team I am in).

Any suggestions, or things to beware of? I gather it's a bit of dump, and hundreds of miles from the nearest beach. So I'll probably spend most of the time in the hotel.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

And I thought making Jesus carry his own cross was barbaric.

Comment

Factor in possible loss of contract due to replacements trained up and then offer a quote to do that.

Unless you are in contract that requires you to train people (ie transfer knowledge) rather than apply it to create things, then IMHO you should be entitled to walk.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Any suggestions, or things to beware of? I gather it's a bit of dump, and hundreds of miles from the nearest beach. So I'll probably spend most of the time in the hotel.
        Usual CUK backwards attitude to India

It's the oldest continuous civilisation on the planet, I'm sure even you could find some site seeing that doesn't involve a beach.

Actually, you'll probably not enjoy at it all. Take lots of DVD's with you
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

I'd look on it as an opportunity. I love travelling and seeing other cultures - what could be better than to be paid to do it? I used to travel to China a lot in my previous role and always made sure I made the most of my spare time.

There must be lots to do around there - why not ask the people you're training for suggestions? Might as well have a bit of a holiday...
          Loopy Loo

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            .. It's the oldest continuous civilisation on the planet, I'm sure even you could find some site seeing that doesn't involve a beach. ..
            I'm having trouble thinking of one that I can be fairly sure also doesn't involve a mosquito or an amoebic dysentery bacillus etc ..

Incidently, if I don't volunteer, my contract almost certainly won't be extended; but if I do then I'm more likely to be retained for several more months as remote support for the new guys (and, knowing the convoluted carp code as I do, boy will they need it! ). So it's not quite as simple as being asked to hand my contract and skills to someone else on a plate.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

They still look up to the Sahib over there, so make sure they know who is boss. Mention the empire a lot, the Raj and shout Jaldhi Jaldhi at everyone you meet.

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                I'm having trouble thinking of one that I can be fairly sure also doesn't involve a mosquito or an amoebic dysentery bacillus etc ..
                I spent a week in Chennai , only complaint about the place is the air pollution. Ate plenty of local food and didn't get any stompach upsets and certainly wasn't bitten by anything. Like you I was there in January which is the dry season so mosquitos weren't a problem.

And once you get out into the countryside and visit some of the historical sites and temples then you might be glad you went.
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Bring some immodium, drink bottled water and enjoy the monsoon!
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    Usual CUK backwards attitude to India
                    A friend of mine went to India, and got Hepatitis A. Very common as they wipe their arse with their hands.

http://menshealth.about.com/cs/disea...epatitis_A.htm

Treatment of Hepatitis A

There is no specific treatment for Hepatitis A. Bed rest and general rest may be required depending on the severity of their symptoms. You can go to work if you feel well enough. In 0.2 percent of people infected with hepatitis A a rare form called fulminant type is diagnosed. These patients will require intensive care in hospital. Thirty per cent of people with this type of hepatitis risk die if a liver transplant is not carried out. Of those that recieve a transplant 80 per cent will do well.

Comment

Working...
                    X