• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No Logo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Logo

I split my business activities between consultancy and hardware/software maintenance. The consultancy is either at home office or client co and does not require use of a car. The other side of the business usually requires me to collect the hardware and service it, install software and deliver it back using my own car. I am thinking of buying a van or similar just for the this but would occasionally find it useful to use it for my personal needs.

Can anyone advise on tax situation? are there any restrictions on which vehicles you can use? do you have to logo the vehicle up? can I run the purchase and running costs through My Limited Co? How do you prove to Hector that it's not a scam to allow you to run a vehicle and avoid tax?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vans/index.htm

Tax on : £3000 benefit for private use of Van + £500 benefit for private fuel

I don't think it needs to be logo'ed - a lot of business van's aren't
    Last edited by FarmerPalmer; 8 December 2009, 17:43.

Comment

You can get magnetic stick on logos I believe.

http://www.magneticsignsontime.com/

So you can logo and unlogo it pretty cheaply and easily.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        You can get magnetic stick on logos I believe.

http://www.magneticsignsontime.com/

So you can logo and unlogo it pretty cheaply and easily.
        Yes VistaPrint do something similar.

Now off to look at that nice Mitsubishi L200 Animal that I've always wanted

Comment

If you get a white van u r legally allowed to cut people up on the Motorway....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            only if it is white

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
              only if it is white
              ???

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                ???
                It has to be that special, dirty white coloured white van.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post
                  I split my business activities between consultancy and hardware/software maintenance. The consultancy is either at home office or client co and does not require use of a car. The other side of the business usually requires me to collect the hardware and service it, install software and deliver it back using my own car. I am thinking of buying a van or similar just for the this but would occasionally find it useful to use it for my personal needs.

Can anyone advise on tax situation? are there any restrictions on which vehicles you can use? do you have to logo the vehicle up? can I run the purchase and running costs through My Limited Co? How do you prove to Hector that it's not a scam to allow you to run a vehicle and avoid tax?
                  It may be more advantages to lease the van and claim 100% back on tax.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

thanks for all advice. I'll let accountant do the sums and see if its worthwhile.

Comment

Working...
                    X