• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accomodation Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accomodation Expenses

Does anyone here claim on accomodation expenses?

I have a 6month contract, and am looking at re-locating for that period.

Can i claim expenses on the money i pay for rent purposes Mon-Fri on my accomodation?

Seems to be straight forward for me, but would like anyone elses opinion on the matter...

Originally posted by el duder

Can i claim expenses on the money i pay for rent purposes Mon-Fri on my accomodation?

Seems to be straight forward for me, but would like anyone elses opinion on the matter...
    What do you mean by relocating - are you changing your main residence? Or are you still maintaining your main residence elsewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by el duder

You can claim B&B/Hotel rates, or 5/7's of your weekly rent on a flat or something. You can also claim back your petrol expenses between your main residence, and your temporary accomodation.

Comment

Originally posted by BillHicksRIP
        You can claim B&B/Hotel rates, or 5/7's of your weekly rent on a flat or something. You can also claim back your petrol expenses between your main residence, and your temporary accomodation.
        this is right, only thing to bear in mind is that if the contract extends beyond 2 years (blimey!) then you would no longer be able to claim. But for 6 months is fine. I had a 15 month contract in St Albans whilst living in Manchester a while back. Got a client to pay for a lovely flat and expenses. It was a sweet deal.....

Don't forget that you can get a 50% rebate on the council tax if you have two places ( I think that's still the case)
        Plan A is located just about here.
        If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Yep, I got a 50% rebate on my two pads - one owned, one rented.

I went to school in St Albans, down near Romeland at the Abbey School. Used to drink (and ended up working) in the Fighting Cocks near Verulamium Park... an expensive place to live....

The Goat was a good freehouse, and the Fleurs de Lys was always eventful. The Boot had a CS gas cannister thrown into it one night.

The Fighting Cocks was your best bet as the talent from St Albans High School for Girls used to hunt there.
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

And then you can claim £5/day 'being away' type of expense. (phone calls to the loved one etc)

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
              The Fighting Cocks was your best bet as the talent from St Albans High School for Girls used to hunt there.
              thanks for the tip, sadly though I've reached the stage in my life where hanging around for schoolgirl talent qualifies me for a jail term....

Shame, really, I don't feel any different from when I was 16.
              Plan A is located just about here.
              If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Working...
              X