• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Live ship tracking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live ship tracking

Absolutely amazing mashup

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

PS. The Somali pirates are gonna love it!
    www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Originally posted by wxman View Post

Good for tracking an oil rig that's off to the Falklands to search for oil. Ramp, ramp, ramp...

Comment

There's not a lot of information about the Gulf of Arabia or the east African coast though is there?

I used the site to watch the ships carrying a container of all my worldly goods around the world earlier in the year. There was loads of information showing the ship visiting different ports within Europe but after the ship reached Port Said there was silence until it arrived in Singapore.

IIRC the service is provided by volunteers with radios to pick up the ship signals and internet connections to transmit the data back. I was a bit surprised that there were no volunteers within the UAE but maybe that data is not intended to be available to the general public.

Comment

That website is tulip. Can't see my private yacht anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          That website is tulip. Can't see my private yacht anywhere.

That's because your yacht won't be required to carry an AIS transponder because it will be smaller than 299 gross tonnage.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
            There's not a lot of information about the Gulf of Arabia or the east African coast though is there?
            Or the Western Caribbean.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Hello sailors!

Comment

Originally posted by wxman View Post

You've successfully managed to waste my entire working morning!

Strangely addictive.

Comment

Extra addictive. Interesting to see how the cross Channel ferries dodge the other shipping.

Comment

I can see the 11:20 from Brodick is about to leave
                    Last edited by minestrone; 10 December 2009, 10:51.

Comment

Working...
                    X