• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Terminate the future contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terminate the future contract

Hi.

Due to recession, I took a lower rate role and I am stuck with it for a good nine months.
    There are two new roles where in one I have to compete some, silly, time-consuming assignment - I'm not sure I could be bothered - I explained to them that they can let me go whenever they wish on a contract, to which they replied they're looking for a long term relationship and provide training - I don't think they understand the difference between perm and contract.
    Anyway the other role is going through some bureaucracy etc and I would say is a 90%.
    Thing is the only certain thing I have right now is an extension for the current role, and lacking any other concrete option, I would like to sign it.

The extension starts mid Jan (I am taking an XMas break when I could be billing - silly me) by which time I hope for at least one offer to come through.

The contract is one months notice, both sides.

Can I sign the extension now and:
    a) give them one months notice, let's say on the 24th
    b) simply let them know I won't be coming after all

Any better ideas, not to spoil their christmas too much (provided I do actually get a better offer)?

Merry Chrimbo!
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
      Can I sign the extension now and:
      a) give them one months notice, let's say on the 24th
      b) simply let them know I won't be coming after all
      Answers:

a) - yes
      b) - no, but you could simply not turn up because of illness, bereavement, laziness - anything else you want to make up that you have the guts to tell them.

Read other posts about similar things.

Comment

Working...
      X