• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Joint accounts.. who has em?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joint accounts.. who has em?

Just reading this article in the times

I'm actually rather surprised by the amount of people who have not sat down and sorted out some form of transparency between their finances.

My wife & I still have our independent bank accounts but also a third, which is joint, which we both contribute too (mostly me divi’s actually) and is just referred to as the expenses account.

Just curious, what does everyone else do? What does the contractor do?
    Last edited by scooterscot; 10 December 2009, 13:43.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

I’ll ask the missus and get back to you on that one.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Just reading this article in the times
      Your link is broken

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle6950186.ece
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Joint account, she puts a grand in every month, I tend to just dump in what I owe every few months.

I'm 22 months behind

Going to pay that next week when this latest invoice comes through.

Comment

We both have our own accounts and a joint which we both contribute equally to for mortgage and household bills.

We also do the same with our credit cards, 2 personal , one joint.

It makes life a lot easier as i know a lot of people who just have one account and a lot of arguments come out of overspending.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Wife and I have a joint account

Usually it's fine although a couple of years ago I noticed she'd gone and spent about £300 at costco.
            I was furious and had a right go at her, she kept telling me to leave it and it's her money as well
            a couple of weeks later I got a shiney new PS3 for my birthday

oops
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Think there's pros and cons. If you've both got a decent salary it's nice to have your own funds and pay some into a joint account to cover bills etc (as me an Mr k2p2 do). Means you don't have to seek each other's permission before spending. Difficulty comes when one of you stops earning - you've both got in the mindset of 'my' money and have to work out a new arrangement. One friend does something which seems good - all the money goes into a joint account, then they both take out the same amount into individual accounts, so they've both got the same to spend on themselves.

I think in a lot of relationships one partner has a better 'money head' than the other - saves lots of arguments and grief to both have control over your own share.

Comment

Just one joint account - always have.

All my money is hers. Is this bad in modern society?

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
                  Just one joint account - always have.

All my money is hers. Is this bad in modern society?
                  WHS. She's quite thrifty, it might be a different story if she was a big spender.

Comment

WTS (what they said)

Joint account where the bulk of the money goes, then an equal "salary" of sorts drawn into both individual accounts.

Comment

Working...
                    X