• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New "low energy" bulbs ARE a con

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New "low energy" bulbs ARE a con

More or Less on Radio 4.

There is only a 3:1 ratio in brightness: you need a 33W new bulb to replace a 100W old bulb. That's not what the boxes say.

The life of 10 years assumes the bulb is off for over 85% of the time, and is an average: 50% will have failed after 10,000 hours (416 days if always on) of use.

The 80% energy saving is a falsehood: it includes heat generation that is compensated for by heating reductions.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

No Really

well who would have thought that?

Comment

They claim they are low energy and they do that...

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        The 80% energy saving is a falsehood: it includes heat generation that is compensated for by heating reductions.
        The first law of thermodynamics really is pretty ruthless at times.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Britain jumped the gun on this one. The government implemented the new EU regulations early, so we all have to buy these crappy low energy bulbs instead of waiting until LED lights become cheap enough. Which is what the rest of the EU will do. The UK may even end up using more energy as a result of this, not to mention all the mercury which we will dump in landfill.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
            not to mention all the mercury which we will dump in landfill.
            Maybe it should be legislated that mercury can only be dumped on Mercury - this may give incentive to develop spaceships...

Comment

Timely. I recently bought some "old style" bulbs from a local DIY store, because I'm getting p*ssed off with the pale yellow dim light that now pervades my "energy efficient" house.

I don't miss having to change the old bulbs every month when they pop, but I do miss the quality of their light. And their "instant on" functionality.

Comment

I'm surprised they haven't wheeled out a government mong to say "to compensate for the lower luminescence, you should eat a carrot and add it to you 5 a day" or other such carp.
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                  you should eat a carrot
                  Wasn't that just WW2 propaganda to cover up the invention of RADAR ?

Comment

You can buy 5 florescents for £1 down my local supermarket. Also, don't forget to give up meat and breed like crazy as you know this makes perfect sense.

I was trying to read the resistances on some minute resistors the other day (using the colour bars, without a colour chart to compare them with) and had trouble telling brown from black and red from orange, etc, under my underpowered florescent light. So I tried again under the table lamp, which has one of the old illegal light bulbs in. That was an improvement and the colours changed and became more distinct and differentiable, but even so neither were as good as decent sunlight, as I discovered the next morning. I'd also tried it under a small white LED, and that wasn't much cop either.

Comment

Working...
                    X