• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The real problem with Western society...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The real problem with Western society...

Post content deleted.
    Last edited by Dog's Heinous; 3 January 2010, 21:36.

Yawn...
    Me, me, me...

Comment

The spelling & grammar response

Just to get it over and done with so your arguments can be responded to without distraction:
      Originally posted by Dog's Heinous View Post
      The real problems with Western society, and which could ultimately cause its destruction, are greed & selfishness. This obsession with accumulating as much material wealth as possible, that so many people are now hooked on, is like a cancer eating away at society. We have become single minded, one-dimensional wealth-junkies, desperately trying to accumulate more than our neighbour. I was caught up in this myself for at least until the age of 30.

People are so identified with what make & model of car they drive, or how big their house is, or how posh their neighbourhood is, that they are driven to desperately try to get more money to buy a flashier car/bigger house/move to a posher neighbourhood. One wonders what will happen to their sense of identity when the full effects of this credit crunch are finally felt and they lose said posh car/big house/posh neighbourhood. The party can't last forever. Sooner or later the bill will have to be paid by someone.

I think we have forgotten what matters in life. Sitting around counting your money, gloating over a bank statement with loads of zeroes (& hopefully at least a '1' or greater digit in front of it!) is not fun. Fun comes from hanging out with friends, playing sport, watching films, enjoying music, discovering new places, being creative etc.

When I think of this subject I think of the kids who want to be gangsters. They think they are getting "Respect" by carrying a gun or knife around. They are wrong. People cross the street to avoid them due to fear, not due to respect. Gangster rap is a bad influence on our society.

Our society has become selfish, with so many people too caught up in their obsessive quest for material wealth that they've forgotten how to have fun and build strong relationships (family, friends). This is manifest in the culture of long hours, and this pathetic obsession that companies have with "increasing shareholder value year-on-year" and "increasing profits year-on-year".
      The rest is fine.
      Last edited by RichardCranium; 11 December 2009, 20:39.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

The real problem with the western culture is ***** like you with an over inflated sense of importance speaking for the so called silent majority
        Wish you would stay ******* silent
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

You've got a good few points there. However, trying to change anyone's opinion on a forum is a bit of a waste of time. I'm sure you'll noticed that quite a number of people here are already clued up. Anyway, must be better things to do than post here. Which reminds me, it's time for the pub...

Comment

Originally posted by Dog's Heinous View Post
            The real problem with Western society, and which could ultimately cause it's destruction, is greed & selfishness. This obsession with acumulating as much material wealth as possible, that so many people are now hooked on, is like a cancer eating away at society. We have become single minded, one-dimensional wealth-junkies, desperately trying to accumulate more than our neighbour. I was caught up in this myself for at least until the age of 30.

Dog's Heinous
            Dropping pearls of wisdom like confetti
            1/10

You get a mark for someone starting a thread about you.

Comment

I've had some expensive cars and some real cheap ones. I think overall I enjoyed the sheds more.
              Cats are evil.

Comment

I can't read all that shit. My shit says the problem is overcrowding. There, a lot less words.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                  You've got a good few points there. However, trying to change anyone's opinion on a forum is a bit of a waste of time. I'm sure you'll noticed that quite a number of people here are already clued up. Anyway, must be better things to do than post here. Which reminds me, it's time for the pub...
                  I agree with this fella. You do make some good points generally, but not for this audience.

Comment

Feck me, how long does it take for the average person to realise what capitalism is all about? I'd image most people on here worked it out in their teens.

Some people are born to ride and some are born to be ridden, get over it.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X