• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract(s) Dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract(s) Dilemma

So been offered a number of new contracts but not too sure what to go for:
    • contract no.1 is with a major telecommunications company providing technical support for a number of products
      • the plus side is that it is only 10 minutes from home by foot, will probably (more likely definitely) last more than the original 6 months and new technologies
      • the minus side is that I've never used the software before and haven't used the OS for over 5 years. There is on-call as well but only 1 week in every 7. If I deceide to leave after the 6 months then I'm not going to have enough skills to market myself in these new technologies and my existing skills will also not be up to date having not used them.
    I've discussed this with them a number of times but they still want me, even offering a 10% raise on the hourly rate. Their plan is to get me on the team as I'll be the most technical person there so that they can grab more resources from other departments whom they currently rely on so it could work out okay.
    • contract no.2 is for a mid sized insurance company upgrading and configuring their current portfolio of monitoring software then changing their automation software to another product and then helping them implement a new high availability system
      • the plus side is the money is slightly better than above and I know the OS very well along with the whole range of applications. It also brings me into contact ith the newest versions of these software products. Its initially for 3 months with the option of extensions. The first 2 weeks will be fulltime and the rest will be around 3 days a week
      • the minus side is that it is over 300km away which means travel and hotels which cuts into the money earnt and after 10 years of doing that I'm getting slightly knackered. What they are really looking for is a permie but the market is very quiet in this area for both permies and contractors but this does mean that if they find someone then there will be no extension
    • contract no.3 and no.4 is upgrading and converting a system component for a building soceity and a large insurance company
      • the plus side is that one project is not too far and the other one is down the road from the previous project. I know the software fairly well and they about a 1/3 of the way through and I'll be there to take over the conversion of QA and productions systems
      • the minus side is probably no extension after the initial ca. 3 months and the travel again. Both projects are around 2 days a week with one starting nearly after the other. The one project which is in the same town as the previous project would be quite good as I can then do 5 days a week without making too much impact on monies earned

So far I'm going with contract no.1 but only 3 days a week at the start so that I can fit in contract no.3 (but not 4) to keep existing skills going (and this also helps me with the German taxman) and just need to discuss this with peoples concerned but I think they'll go for it. I do have have some other offers which are waiting to be confirmed but these are all confirmed so its just deciding what to go for. Decisions, decisions, decisions followed by 'er indoors telling me to get the **** out from under her feet and earn some bloody money
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Dunno but don`t worry about using your 'old' skills, they soon come back when used again. That`s what I find anyway.

Well done for getting 4 offers

Comment

Do you really need to advice of a bunch of bored techies to make up your mind or are you just wanting to boast that you have 4 job offers?
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        So been offered a number of new contracts but not too sure what to go for:
        So far I'm going with contract no.1 but only 3 days a week at the start so that I can fit in contract no.3 (but not 4) to keep existing skills going (and this also helps me with the German taxman) and just need to discuss this with peoples concerned but I think they'll go for it. I do have have some other offers which are waiting to be confirmed but these are all confirmed so its just deciding what to go for. Decisions, decisions, decisions followed by 'er indoors telling me to get the **** out from under her feet and earn some bloody money
        I can't speak for your personal circumstance but for me being close to home is valuable, I agree with your choice of 1 & 3.

Well done on getting 4 offers.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
          Do you really need to advice of a bunch of bored techies to make up your mind or are you just wanting to boast that you have 4 job offers?
          Do I sense some cynicism of one who is nearing some bench time like myself
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Financially, being very close to home with no hotel and other expenses is worth between £100 to £200 per day on top of all of the other benefits of being at home.

Contract 1 sounds fine also. So what if you are rusty in certain technical areas. If you have at least reasonable previous experience then you will be fine.

Contract 1 for me.

Comment

WSS.

Sounds like Scooterscot.

Comment

Actually more than 4 now

I'm sure other people have been in similar situations and was just looking at what other people have done before. So far the replies have been pretty good and exactly what I've been looking for and I'm grateful for that.

The one thing I don't want to do is to piss off the people who have offered me the contracts because I'll probably use them in future.
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
                  Dunno but don`t worry about using your 'old' skills, they soon come back when used again. That`s what I find anyway.

Well done for getting 4 offers
                  Thats what I thought but at least one prject they turned me down because I hadn't used them for 8 months, well that was their excuse as I since found out they filled it internally. But yes, you're correct as my skillset is becoming more and more in demand due to a market shortage and as long as I keep my hand in somehow and not become too rusty then should be fine, plust this way I gain more skills.

Comment

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
                    Financially, being very close to home with no hotel and other expenses is worth between £100 to £200 per day on top of all of the other benefits of being at home.
                    Cheers, thats what I figured out. Travel there and back (plus depreciation on the car) is a couple of hours pay, 3 nights in a hotel plus food comes to another ca. 4-5 hours pay which in the end means you're working 3 days but only really earning for around 2 which isn't really worth it in the long run (just done that for the last 8 months as it is.) Then there is the hassle of travelling and although I don't mind driving, in the current weather and roads I would have to drive it just ain't much fun.

Comment

Working...
                    X