• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blair starts backtracking on the Iraq WMD argument

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blair starts backtracking on the Iraq WMD argument

Removal of Saddam Hussein 'right', says Tony Blair
    It would have been "right to remove" Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein even without evidence that he had weapons of mass destruction, Tony Blair has said.

The former prime minister said it was the "notion of him as a threat to the region" which had tilted him in favour of the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

Without WMD claims it would have been necessary to "use and deploy different arguments," he told the BBC.
    Blair lied about WMD, he lied about Saddam supporting al Quaeda, and he was wrong about Saddam's threat too.

Saddam was controlled, by weapons inspectors and no-fly zones, and after being routed in Kuwait was unlikely to try that again elsewhere.

So not only was Blair stupid in getting rid of an ally against millitant Islam in the region, but he has admitted starting a war to effect regime change, which is illegal under international law.

Should he be tried at The Hague or the Old Bailey?

Arrested, found guilty, shot. Why bother with a trial? You are right about him being an ally, if he was still there could Iran afford to be quite so belligerent?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      If he was still there could Iran afford to be quite so belligerent?
      No, they could not have afforded it.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Arrested, found guilty, shot. Why bother with a trial? You are right about him being an ally, if he was still there could Iran afford to be quite so belligerent?
        hung, drawn, and quartered That's proper British.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

What I'd like to know whether Bliar used his time away from this country to avoid paying taxes on those millions he paid for "lectures" recently.

Comment

Blair can and probably should stand trial at the Hague but sadly his co-conspirator Bush, who really should won't and can't be forced to either as the USA are not signatories to the War Crimes Court:

Shortly after becoming president, one George W. Bush, quickly removed the signature of the United States (President Bill Clinton's signature) from the membership rolls of the International Criminal Court in The Hague.

Soon thereafter, Bush invaded and attacked Iraq, without sanction from the United Nations Security Council, thereby launching a War of Aggression, his Supreme Crime Against Humanity, making his invasion, occupation, and everything that followed, illegal and immoral as well.
            He obviously knew that what he was doing was a lie
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              What I'd like to know whether Bliar used his time away from this country to avoid paying taxes on those millions he paid for "lectures" recently.
              And I'm guessing that buying your son a £1million mews house is an IHT dodge:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...umber-six.html
              Last edited by The_Equalizer; 12 December 2009, 13:11.

Comment

I have been bothered by the hanging of Saddam Hussein ever since it was announced.

Why did our government not formally object?

It seemed to me we were a party to that capture and execution knowing the death penalty was inevitable. And I was under the impression at the time that that was illegal, although I do not know where I got that idea.

We have been banning the death penalty by degrees for 40 years and since 1998 it has even been illegal for the UK to use the death penalty during wartime.

It was certainly illegal under Article 3 of the European Convention on Human Rights which prohibits the death penalty and the extradition of suspects to countries where capital punishment may be carried out. Given we were one of the parties controlling the country at the time, we are surely partly responsible.

(Protocol No. 13 to the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, concerning the abolition of the death penalty in all circumstances only came in in about 2004.)

I feel Blair has blood on his hands: the blood of Iraqi civilians, Dr Kelly's blood and the blood of participation in execution.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                  It was certainly illegal under Article 3 of the European Convention on Human Rights which prohibits the death penalty and the extradition of suspects to countries where capital punishment may be carried out.
                  He was hanged by the Iraqies, no amount of UK/US invovelment would have saved him.

I'd say death penalty should be allowed for heads of states and such who commit very serious crimes or criminal mistakes that has lead to massive negative consequences that involved loss of live.

Comment

The United Nations Charter

2.3 All members shall settle their international disputes by peaceful means in such a manner that international peace, security and justice are not endangered.

2.4 All members shall refrain in their international relations from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state, or in any other manner inconsistent with the Purposes of the United Nations.

41 The Security Council may decide what measures not involving the use of armed force are to be employed to give effect to its decisions, and it may call upon members of the United Nations to apply such measures. These may include complete or partial interruption of economic relations and of rail, sea, air, postal, telegraphic, radio and other means of communication, and the severance of diplomatic relations.
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X