• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Intel Outside

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel Outside

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4499362.stm

Intel, the world's largest chipmaker, plans to invest $1bn (£576m) in India over the next five years.
    The firm will spend $800m on boosting its research and development operation, with the rest of the cash being used to finance investment in firms.

Intel has an R&D centre in Bangalore that produces software to drive its microchips, computers and networks.

Firms like Intel are expanding in India as the wages of software engineers are fraction of what they cost in the US.

Reports estimate that the average wage for a software engineer in India is less than a sixth of that for a similar professional in the US.

Right that's it, where can I buy a good BRITISH made CPU. I want it to be hand made by British craftsman. Steam powered a bonus.

Arm
    Inmos

Comment

Dont forget though that the costs faced by the indian staff are about 1/50th of those faced by us here in the great tax rip off called England.

BTW, you are out of luck if you want a British built CPU since they are already being made in India and the company is most likely owned by the Chinese

Mailman

Comment

If Intel did not have Israeli's developing Pentium M then they (Intel) would have been totally stuffed now with bad P4 design - and we'd face monopoly of AMD.

Comment

Made in UK

Originally posted by DimPrawn
          Right that's it, where can I buy a good BRITISH made CPU. I want it to be hand made by British craftsman. Steam powered a bonus.
          Spods suggestion, and one of my favourites:

Ahh, interesting languages such Occam, Ada et al...

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod
            Arm
            Inmos
            Isn't Arm now controlled by Intel? Or at least licensed to them? Most PDA's at one point contained an Arm processor, and I think XScale has some Arm licenses in it.
            Discuss PDA/Smartphones
            Yeovil Town FC - the real green & whites

Comment

Originally posted by dazza12
              Isn't Arm now controlled by Intel? Or at least licensed to them? Most PDA's at one point contained an Arm processor, and I think XScale has some Arm licenses in it.
              ARM was founded by Acorn and Apple. They dominate the mobile phone CPU market. I believe they have >50% market penetration (70% I think).

But they don't fabricate cores. They licence the designs which are then made by external fabs, usually/always overseas. Customers can do a lot of customisation.

I doubt they are owned/controlled by Intel. Intel are taking steps to compete with ARM as they realise that the current PC architecture cannot continue forever, and the mobile and desktop markets are converging. ARM are very low power and at present Intel can't touch them.

Fungus.

Comment

Runs MVS
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt

Runs MVS
                  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules/
                  Hercules is an open source software implementation of the mainframe System/370 and ESA/390 architectures, in addition to the new 64-bit z/Architecture. Hercules runs under Linux, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Mac OS X 10.2 and later.

... everything runs MVS!

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                    http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules/
                    Hercules is an open source software implementation of the mainframe System/370 and ESA/390 architectures, in addition to the new 64-bit z/Architecture. Hercules runs under Linux, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Mac OS X 10.2 and later.

... everything runs MVS!
                    I used to do some Hercules development but had to stop as I now do FSI but then again Hercules only allows you to run, legally, MVS 3.8 or VM/370 (although you can also do zLinux but there is no real point.) To run any of IBM's current, or more recent, operating systems you need the real stuff otherwise how do I earn my money?
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X