• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Drug money saved banks in global crisis, claims UN advisor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drug money saved banks in global crisis, claims UN advisor

Remember boys and girls: cash flow is king!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global/200...n-cfief-claims
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

... and when I wanted to pay £170 in cash to Barclays; I had to proove it was not money laundering!
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      ... and when I wanted to pay £170 in cash to Barclays; I had to proove it was not money laundering!

I remember I opened my first bank account in this country in 1994 with just £1 - got cash card, paperwork etc - have not used account for a few years and only later when I came back to UK I started using it and stayed with the same bank for now 15 years.

Tried to do same thing for my sister few years ago - could not because of money laundering laws, ffs - it's not like she was depositing huge amount of money, literally a few quid like I did, but no.

This does not seem to prevent football clubs being baught by foreigners - no questions asked policy it seems

Comment

You think it's bad here - try opening a bank account in one of these so-called money laundering tax havens!

Contrary to popular belief, you can't turn up with a suitcase of money and expect them to say, "Ah! Good morning Mr HAB. We'll open an account for you straight away. Would you like to spend some time with my daughter while you wait, or would you prefer my nephew?"

I had to go through all sorts of hell getting references from my banks in the UK and showing documents covering the source of funds. It was when they were getting over excited with the 'know your customer' regs combined with the local morons that they are obliged to employ. It was hell I tell you.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Contrary to popular belief, you can't turn up with a suitcase of money and expect them to say, "Ah! Good morning Mr HAB. We'll open an account for you straight away. Would you like to spend some time with my daughter while you wait, or would you prefer my nephew?"
          You right you can't just turn up with cash anymore. You have to book an appointment...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Tried to do same thing for my sister few years ago - could not because of money laundering laws, ffs - it's not like she was depositing huge amount of money, literally a few quid like I did, but no.
            When we had to open new accounts a few years ago (NatWest: c**ts), we could not put together sufficient documentation to prove to the banks that my wife existed.

The problem was mainly caused by having the utility bills in my name and chasing gigs round the country so we had lots of addresses and her having no open bank account.

She didn't have an account at all for a couple of years until they relaxed the rules. She could then open an account under her "trading as" name (she is a sole trader) and once that had been operating a while, used that to create a personal account.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Talking about money laundering ....... it's time for my weekly bath.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                The problem was mainly caused by having the utility bills in my name and chasing gigs round the country so we had lots of addresses and her having no open bank account.
                Why they insist on those utility bills as if they are some kind of magic watermarked police checked paperwork? It's trivial to fake them and if no first name is put on bill then for two persons with first initials and last name same bill can be reused, what's the bloody point? It does not seem to affect fraudsters in anyway.

I can understand when bank would not want to offer credit cards, loans to person who maybe deemed high risk (foreigner), however current account with 0 overdraft and maybe monthly fee for it seems obvious solution. I offered to vouch for her - put my money and reputation on the line but that wasn't possible, wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  I offered to vouch for her - put my money and reputation on the line but that wasn't possible, wtf?
                  When I was at college one of the Turkish students told us his family's story about this.

His uncle came over here in the 50s, walked into HighStreet Bank (I forget which, but all 4 were as bad as each other anyway) and opened an account and set up a business. 20 years later he still has that same account.

Student's dad (brother of the above) brings his family over. Student's big sister wants a bank account and gives the uncle as a guarantor. The bank write back to say "He is not acceptable as a guarantor".

The uncle takes this letter into his local branch and says "I understand I am not good enough for you, so I want to close my account now". Cashier has to fetch the manager. The manager begs him to change his mind and the uncle says "I want all my money now, in cash, and I'm not leaving until I get it".

They had to get a delivery from another bank. It was a HUGE amount of money (I thought so at the time) like £30,000. This was in the late 1970s.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I am planning to close my account with my current bank at appropriate junction in near future - I'll write to their directors however and will make sure the story is publisied. The main challenge is to get enough money in the bank for them to care...

Comment

Working...
                    X