• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top Five Guitar Solos

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Five Guitar Solos

Given the recent threads from N5 thought Id continue with your niminations and even nominations for the best five guitar solos

So here we go

1 House Burning Down Jimi Hendrix Mother of all Guitar Introductions
    2 Moonage Daydream Mik Ronson Mother of all Guitar Fadeout solo
    3 Money Dave Gilmour Mother of all Guitar mid song solos
    3 Big Muff John Martyn Get away with your powder puff...
    4 Taxman George Harrison ... delclare the pennies on your eyes
    5 Layla Eric Clapton ... still sends shivers down me back.
    5b Framed SAHB Zal Clemence ... I was FRAMED !!!!

Your turn now.

If I dont meet you no more in this World, meet you in the Next , and dont be late !

Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 5 December 2005, 16:07.

black sabbath- sabbath bloody sabbath
    Guns n' roses - sweet child o mine
    Cream - sunshine of your love
    Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
    5 a Pearl Jam - Alive
    5 b Underones - Teenage kicks
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
      Given the recent threads from N5 thought Id continue with your niminations and even nominations for the best five guitar solos

So here we go

1 House Burning Down Jimi Hendrix Mother of all Guitar Introductions
      2 Moonage Daydream Mik Ronson Mother of all Guitar Fadeout solo
      3 Money Dave Gilmour Mother of all Guitar mid song solos
      3 Big Muff John Martyn Get away with your powder puff...
      4 Taxman George Harrison ... delclare the pennies on your eyes
      5 Layla Eric Clapton ... still sends shivers down me back.
      5b Framed SAHB Zal Clemence ... I was FRAMED !!!!

Your turn now.
      1. All Along the Watchtower Jimi Hendrix. This is what you can do with wa-wa on an electric guitar.
      2. Jessica Allman Bros. You can believe that Greg thought up the intro to Layla.
      3. Dance the Night Away Cream. Clapton at his most tasteful.
      4. Red House (live) Jimi Hendrix. A glimpse of where he might have been going if he had lived.
      5. Nuages Quintet of the hot Club of France. Just in case people forget how good Django Reinhardt was. And he did that after losing the use of 2 fingers of his left hand.
      5b. What you said, Alf.

So let us stop talking softly now, the hour's getting late....
      Last edited by expat; 5 December 2005, 16:12.

Comment

name that riff

dum dum dum
        dum dum dum dum
        dum dum dum
        dum dum

Comment

4. Red House (live) - Jimi Hendrix. A glimpse of where he might have been going if he had lived.

Apparently he was going to team up with Emerson Lake and Palmer, to form a super group HELP ie Hendrix Emerson Lake and Palmer

5. Nuages - Quintet of the hot Club of France. Just in case people forget how good Django Reinhardt

What a superb guitarist, still love his version of Sweet Georgia Brown .
          Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 5 December 2005, 16:22.

Comment

Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom
            dum dum dum
            dum dum dum dum
            dum dum dum
            dum dum
            The Archers?
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
              4. Red House (live) - Jimi Hendrix. A glimpse of where he might have been going if he had lived.

Apparently he was going to ....
              2 solos in that Red House: first one blues, second one jazz.

Comment

Aye Expat

I remember Oscar Peterson describing Hendirx as a great Jazz guitarist, not many people appreciate that Jimi was a jazzer , and a fine composer, I liked his voice altough Hendrix had no confidence in his own singing.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
                  The Archers?

No, its The theme tune to "The Little House On The Prarie"

Comment

The heaviest guitar solo EVER and I mean ever, is Lou Reed's on the velvets "I heard her call my name" from White light, white heat (1968), preceded as it is by the immortal words "And then I felt my mind split open...". The next "song" on the LP is "Sister Ray", making this the heaviest ever side two of an LP. (Judge : me).

This however,and indeed most of the tracks mentioned so far, are actually a guitar breaks, not guitar solos, as other instruments are playing as well. A true guitar solo is when just the guitar itself is heard. Try Tony Iommi on Sabbath's "Warning" from the first LP (1969), or Steve Howe on Yes' "Sound Chaser" from "Relayer" (1974).

Bagpuss' choice is actually riffs, which is something else all together. Hendrix fans should check out "Peace in Missisippi" from the under-rated and not particularly easy to find "Crash Landing" (1975). The 1970 John McLaughlin LP "Devotion" is also a classic.

On a weirder note, try Fripp and Eno's "No Pussyfooting" (1973) for two instrumental tracks where Fripp's guitar is fed back onto itself via an Ampex tape recorder.
                    Other Fripp classics are the guitar break on "21st century schizoid man" from the first LP, (although I prefer the rougher live take on "Earthbound" (1972)). The following year's offering, "Larks' Tongues in Aspic" deserves the attention of anyone remotely interested in the use of the electric guitar.

(That's enough guitar solos. Ed)
                    Last edited by Fleetwood; 5 December 2005, 18:48.
                    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Working...
                    X