• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Night Vision Cameras

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night Vision Cameras

This weekend we spotted some scrote trying to break into my car in the early hours. So I've been thinking of getting some cameras set up and wondered if any of you lot had any recommendations? Obviously they would have to have IR capabilities.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Well, you've come to the right place then.

How dark, are we allowed any extra normal lights, or would you prefer infrared illumination, or just on what is available (distant street lights, moon etc.)?

Do you want the cameras to work during the day as well?

What quality? Do you want to see they are people and not dogs, people you will be able to recognise, or good enough for in court?

Do you want to record, and how much of a recording? Continuous recording or only on a trigger? Again, what quality of recording.

How much do you want to spend?
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I'm open to suggestions on this as I know nothing about security cameras. Obviously I'd like things to be as cheap as possible.

We live on a cul-de-sac so anybody entering it does so by passing our house. I wanted to focus the camera onto our road (small street not much wider than 2 cars. My car is parked at the end of our drive, a drive that itself is not much longer than a car. So I was hoping I could set something up in the bedroom overlooking the street and it would be able to produce fairly clear images of the person who keeps pinching things out of the cars parked there that we could send to the coppers. I'd prefer it if it could stream to my PC and I could happily fill this with some big cheap drives and motion sensors would be useful. It will be aimed at the car and surrounding tarmac so the image would be pretty static.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Because of the high view angle you won't get an image the plod will be too interested in, as they can't use it as evidence.

So you won't need something with too high a resolution, you just want to be able to recognise the scroat from their clothing if you see them.

An ordinary webcam and some motion detecting software should do it.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Is it worth setting up a neighbourhood watch scheme for you street?

Also, put in some IR activated flood lights onto your driveway?

You might want to start with some dummy camera housings. Cheap, quick to put up, and might deter most idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
            Because of the high view angle you won't get an image the plod will be too interested in, as they can't use it as evidence.

So you won't need something with too high a resolution, you just want to be able to recognise the scroat from their clothing if you see them.

An ordinary webcam and some motion detecting software should do it.
            I've got a small, but visible outdoor infrared camera mounted in my front doorway. Prefer it to be mounted outside as the infrared glow acts as a visible deterrent at night. Cost me about £100.

Think I got it here:

http://www.y3k.com/section.php?xSec=...45bfef6b08e37f

I noticed Maplin were doing a cheap network DVR for £199. Not sure if it includes a hard drive.
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Get a garage.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Get a garage.

HTH
                Or if you live in a terraced house, rip out all the shrubbery from your front garden and concrete it over to make a nice driveway

Saves on parking permits too!
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                  Or if you live in a terraced house, rip out all the shrubbery from your front garden and concrete it over to make a nice driveway

Saves on parking permits too!
                  There are some places where you're not allowed to do that any more due to the extra surface run off it causes. You have to spend more to get a permeable one.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post

helicopter pad

Comment

Working...
                    X