• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deceitful weather gods

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deceitful weather gods

This morning’s trip to the office took more than three hours, as opposed to the planned 1 hour, due to frozen points on the railway and ice damage to overhead cables. The Dutch railways were caught unawares by an ‘unexpected cold snap’, causing chaos on the trains for thousands of commuters.

The gross deceit of the weather gods to send us frosty weather in Northern Europe in December, of all places and of all months, left the railway management in complete discombobulation and caused no little consternation among commuters.

Now then, am I alone in considering frost to be less than abnormal in December? Perhaps the congregation can enlighten me.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

That's a relief, it's not just us that have to put up with absolute muppets in charge of our railways.

In other shock news, the AA reckon there won't be enough salt to grit the roads this year. The surprise cold weather last year has depleted stocks. Eh? Cold weather, every year, in winter? How can they claim they weren't expecting that?

Comment

Apparently snow is predicted some time this week in Numptonshire, so a fun commute on Wednesday for me
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
        Apparently snow is predicted some time this week in Numptonshire, so a fun commute on Wednesday for me
        'some time this week'? Is that how accurate the weather forecast gets?

Comment

Erm, isn't it this time of year that the Dutch traditionally go skating on frozen ponds and canals?
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            Erm, isn't it this time of year that the Dutch traditionally go skating on frozen ponds and canals?
            Yep, and the time of year that the Dutch railway management ignore the forecasts provided so helpfully by the highly acclaimed KNMI (Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute). The whole country knew last thursday it was going to freeze, except the people running the railways.

Comment

Working...
            X