• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best share trading account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best share trading account

I've decided to move the war chest out of the £ and into some long-term investment shares.

I've looked at Barclays Stockbrokers, but their fees seem quite high -- about £16 a quarter for no activity, or a similar fee for each trade (they would charge minmum each year).

Anyone got any advice? Are Barclays par for the course? Should I stop d1cking around like a cheapskate and just accept £50 per annum charges?!
    Cats are evil.

You with first direct? If so they are cheap and quite effiecent. Good only if you are interested in UK equities.

Comment

I use selftrade. £12.50 commission (not the cheapest) but can place different types or orders (stops, limits). Can have isa/dealing account and other types such as SIPP. Also can trade stocks on other exchanges - by completing a W8-BEN to give access to U.S stocks for example.
      Had a few minor issues with online services but can always call them.
      Think they also charge an annual fee now but you get some free trades also. Frequent traders I think might be better off under the new charging.
      Last edited by SuperZ; 14 December 2009, 12:21.

Comment

With Selftrade too. You can now have a competition between the amount of time you spend on here and that spent watching your portfolio.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
          With Selftrade too. You can now have a competition between the amount of time you spend on here and that spent watching your portfolio.
          Or playing farmville
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
            Or playing farmville

Selftrade charges a yearly admin fee which amounts to over £40... I'd suggest HSBC InvestDirect or III... No inactivity or admin fees and only low execution fees in sell and buying UK equities.

Comment

Can anyone advise whether I can buy shares on the Indian stock exchange (BOM) via iii or HSBC Invest Direct...
              Never Never Never give up

Comment

Try www.h-l.co.uk, £9.95 a trade with my setup.

I'm moving my shares into £s, maybe you could buy mine off me.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                  Should I stop d1cking around like a cheapskate and just accept £50 per annum charges?!
                  We, of all people, ought to have a better understanding than most of the effort that is required to provide an online stockbroking service to the public. How do you think it is paid for?

So, stop being a cheapskate.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                    Try www.h-l.co.uk, £9.95 a trade with my setup.

I'm moving my shares into £s, maybe you could buy mine off me.
                    What shares do you have? Pm me
                    Never Never Never give up

Comment

Working...
                    X