• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

all the pubs are closing or closed what's going on

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

all the pubs are closing or closed what's going on

was around the ancesteral stomping ground at the weekend

driving around the villages it was quite shocking to see how many of the old pubs which were really meeting points for the communities are closing, for sale, or closed

what's going on

my cousin explained it as the prices are too high, for example, him and his mrs and son go to the pub and for a beer a wine and a j2o (that's the new popular kids drink) it's ten quid !!

Milan.

Tell him to start contracting, then its only ten quid

HTH
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

he's doing fine

you're missing the point

remember spacey, keep spending

Milan.

Comment

You're very chipper today Milan
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

morning Norah

put the kettle on would you luv

ta

Milan.

Comment

At a guess

*Increased drink driving policing (with cops in some cases actually camping around the corner to catch people) combined with lack of public transport options
            *Increased drink prices
            *Lower disposable (recession you know?)
            *Cheaper alcohol in supermarkets
            *Smoking ban

All combine to kill off out of town pubs.

The in thing these days is small house parties, preferably close to home

Comment

wotz going on
              woz in my passat taking potatos to market and theres no pubs anywere
              anyhoo could only drive at 50 mph whys that eh
              no one knows but who cares
              ta gotta change tapes now anyone working the weekend

milan
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

It's probably more to do with the cost of living leaving little to spend, If you must buy a 2 bed terraced cottage for 800k then don't expect to be able to afford the pub.

Are council estate pubs busy?
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  Are council estate pubs busy?
                  From what I see over the road, most of the tenants of council estates round here are not allowed to drink because it's against their religion. The rest are nutty old women.

There are load of bars, but the are for the youngsters and charge twice the price. That's why I think that putting up the price will never cure troublesome binge drinking.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Nope even up north where a 2 bed house does not cost 800k they are closing at a rate of knots. It's to do with the profit margins and the fact that there are none!

Pubs have been closing fast before this recession kicked in. It used to be that a good food trade made the pub profitable. People would eat and buy drinks during their meals. The big chains latched onto this and sourced their own suppliers. So they could serve up some microwaved crap and make a huge profit on the dish. Unfortunately the quality of these meals means that people who used to eat out a lot (like me and my family) don't bother and the profitable part of the business vanishes. There is a pub in our village that this happened to. It was near where all the doggy people used to take their pets for walks and used to do a really good Sunday trade. It's dead now. Everything is microwaved now and it's on its @rse.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X