• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC investigations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC investigations

who out of the 600 or so contractors associated with this forum have been investigated or had any enquiries from the HMRC regarding their tax affairs and/or IR35 status?
    Last edited by bandit_legs; 15 December 2009, 11:21.

Originally posted by bandit_legs View Post
    who out of the 600 or so contractos associated with this forum has been investigated or had any enquiries from the HMRC regarding there tax affairs and/or IR35 status?
    I'm a foreigner in Denmark with several businesses. Everything is above board and quite transparent. I therefore get investigated every year, just when the garden is most lovely.

I think the reason is that the little team that visits gets to get away from their cubicle farm for a week or so and go visit the countryside: enjoy the views from my office and garden. Girly and housekeeper make a fuss of them too.

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I got investigated last year.

... all the invoices, expenses, etc,etc for the company accounts...

they overlooked them and accused me of not declaring a 'rent-a-room' to my pal.

Accountant provided all documentation, I provided all bank input.

They said no further investigation required.

Accountant sent me a bill for £500 he said 'the perils of being a taxpayer'

question: is there a 'double jeopardy' rule whereby they can't re-ivestigate any period prior to the investigation?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface View Post
        Accountant sent me a bill for £500 he said 'the perils of being a taxpayer'
        Ya gotta larf Well, I can.

Special message for Hector if you're reading: you can't get me
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Yeh, two compliance visits plus another load of written queries. Big demand for tax on expenses. Fortunately, they made a total hash of it and I ended up with a £100 refund. Accountant was useless. Handle it yourself.

PS On simple stuff that is. I probably wouldn't on IR35 or complex stuff.
          Last edited by xoggoth; 15 December 2009, 12:06.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Had an AHV (equivalent of NI) inspection last week. Accountant handled it. The AHV bod has recommended that we be inspected only every 8 years, rather than every 4 years. I think it's because my accountant's office is in a dodgy area...
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

who out of the 600 or so contractors associated with this forum have been investigated or had any enquiries from the HMRC regarding their tax affairs and/or IR35 status?
              Mine only took about 4 years.

Comment

I tell them I'm with the lizards and they leave me alone.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Spent an entire week photocopying crap.

Submitted.

Assessed as owing £23.50.

Assessed 6 weeks later as owing 47p.

Sorted.

Didn't cost anything in accountant's fees coz I ate the inspector.
                  Ftfy.

Comment

This is quite common amongst contractors.

Would you like to tell us more about why you are asking this?
                    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                    X