• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No wonder they call them <removed>

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No wonder they call them <removed>

Couldn't believe this. Friend of mine went out to a country pub last night, had quite a few more than he planned on having & got a lift home, leaving his car in the car park. Goes back the next morning and no sooner had his wheels hit the tarmac than a patrol car appears, plod breathalyses him & he's just over the limit. They explained that they were targetting "morning after the night before" drivers picking up their cars from this car park.

Really pissed me off hearing this. They could have at least been a bit more proactive and made themselves visible to the people going back to collect their cars warning them that they may still be over the limit especially as they'd done the responsible thing in the first instance. No wonder people have rude names for them.

Its called "rule of law". You're not meant to drive at any time above the limit.
    There are plenty of inexpensive devices to buy to check that.
    Next!
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Sorry - Classic mistake. Your mate must have still felt a bit ropey if he was still over the limit. Honestly, he should have known better.

I agree it would have been nice if Plod had spent a few minutes warning your mate about the dangers of "morning after" driving, but these days they (apparently) have targets to hit.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Its called "rule of law". You're not meant to drive at any time above the limit.
        There are plenty of inexpensive devices to buy to check that.
        Next!
        Maybe, but it was the weaselly way in which they were targetting people who had otherwise acted responsibly that I have an issue with.

Comment

Don't understand your point TBH.

Either your friend thought he was over the limit or he didn't.

If he thought he was well under the limit, he would still have got in the car regardless of plod being visible. If he thought he was borderline or over WhyTF was he about to drive.

Either way it's lesson leant and he won't be doing it for at least a year.

Comment

I don't really agree with the "they could have warned him" bit.

It's not like any of us have never had a hangover before and are unaware of the effect of booze.
            Last edited by Pondlife; 15 December 2009, 14:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              I don't really agree with the "they could have warned him" bit really.

It's not like any of us have never had a hangover before and are unaware of the effect of booze.
              I have to agree, the limit is there for a purpose and is not only enforceable during the hours of darkness. A drunk driver can kill or maim others at any time of day.

Proactive policing in my opinion.

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                I don't really agree with the "they could have warned him" bit.

I'm thinking that a few words "are you sure about this, sir, you might still be over the limit" would have been nice and helpful although I agree not the police's responsibility.

While not wishing to cast aspersions on your mate, it's my experience that most drink drivers are habitual repeat offenders. Those folks really should be off the road. I know several local to me. A couple have been caught. Most have not.

Perhaps your mate will learn his lesson now.

Comment

Knowing how keen the pigs are to meet their targets I do not drink even a drop of alcohol and drive. The police still stop me on suspect of DD with such silly excuses that why am an indicating at every turn. Once they do not smell alcohol on me they don’t breathalyse. So far I have never been breathalysed. I politely ask them if have they have finished with me and then I tell them it’s my turn. I then give then the third degree and ask for one of those yellow police stop notices. I describe myself as Black Caribbean and that really pisses them self off.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Knowing how keen the pigs are to meet their targets I do not drink even a drop of alcohol and drive. The police still stop me on suspect of DD with such silly excuses that why am an indicating at every turn. Once they do not smell alcohol on me they don’t breathalyse. So far I have never been breathalysed. I politely ask them if have they have finished with me and then I tell them it’s my turn. I then give then the third degree and ask for one of those yellow police stop notices. I describe myself as Black Caribbean and that really pisses them self off.
                    Have you been drinking?

Comment

Working...
                    X