• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What are the most unusual facilities you've encountered in an office?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the most unusual facilities you've encountered in an office?

So I am sitting here, bored out of my box today - in between projects - hence the higher than usual activity on CUK. I was thinking how cool it would be to have a chill-out zone somewhere in my clientco where you could play table tennis or pin-ball as I did in my first job when things were slack. Then I got to reminiscing about other facilities I've encountered over the years. The most bizarre was a full size putting green made out of astroturf and with sunken holes and little flags and everything. It was for executives to practice/relax at an insurance company I worked at in the 90's, smack bang in the middle of the City of London and took up a whole floor. In terms of £ per square foot it must have rivalled Wentworth for most expensive golf course in the UK. So what is the most unusual facility you've encountered at a client?

Free soup

I'm not kidding, I've worked in some flipping tedious offices
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

"French-Roadside" toilet. In Tunisia. Quite literally, a tulip-hole.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Free beer on Fridays when working in Brussels.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          Free beer on Fridays when working in Brussels.
          My mate is an animator. When he first started, it was free beer all day every day. Now it's free soft drinks and free booze only on Fridays....
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

We used to get buzzed by Eurofighters a lot when I worked on them

Oh and free pizza when I was a consultant working on a warehouse for pizza hut
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Back in the early 90s used to work for a software house in the Surrey countryside (still a household name). It was based in an old manor house - facilities included free food (yes really!), and a basement with pool table, punch bag, table football and other goodies.
              And you got one free long haul holiday a year (either summer or skiing).
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Sharon the admin girl.

Comment

Shell have a huge swimming pool at the bottom of the Shell Centre in London.

When I was working on some of the pre merger stuff between GW and SKB I had to go to a building at Beechams that had Ribina on draught

At AT & T capital in Manchester you could smoke at your desk if it was past 6, about 12 years ago.

At O2 they had a break area with X Boxes set up.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Back in the early 90s used to work for a software house in the Surrey countryside (still a household name). It was based in an old manor house - facilities included free food (yes really!), and a basement with pool table, punch bag, table football and other goodies.
                    And you got one free long haul holiday a year (either summer or skiing).
                    Logica? Free hols sounds awesome.

Comment

Working...
                    X