• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

OMFG, Brown Stikes Again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMFG, Brown Stikes Again

Tax change for movies made in UK

Now don't quote me on this, I'm no expert, but last year Brown struck a knife through the British film industry. Tax relief to promote production of films produced in the UK was cancelled. There was an outcry from the industry at the time. Now, a year on, after several films in production or pre-production have been pulled, Gordo has cottoned on that by over taxing an industry, you effectively kill it, and therefore receive less tax.

So, in true New Labour fashion, we are to have film 'credits'. (I thought that was reserved for the roll of tape at the end of a movie?!)

What a f***ing U-turn.
    Last edited by Bovvered; 6 December 2005, 08:41.

Oh dear, looks like the beginning of the end...

How do we initiate a "Vote Of No Confidence"?

Comment

Come on guys

New Labour have not been in power that long.

Give them time.

Only another 3 years before the great british people get to choose again.

2009 new labour seen below

Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

I like this quote from the man himself

Chancellor Gordon Brown has told the BBC he would run a Blairite administration if he becomes prime minister after Tony Blair steps down.
        He told BBC Radio 4's Today he would lead a reforming Labour Party, which encouraged an entrepreneurial economy.

How does taxing the **** out of everything, encouraging business to move jobs offshore where ever possible, letting every piece of human garbage enter the country without checks, make for "an entrepreneurial economy"?

Comment

Shock Horror

Originally posted by DimPrawn
          I like this quote from the man himself

How does taxing the **** out of everything, encouraging business to move jobs offshore where ever possible, letting every piece of human garbage enter the country without checks, make for "an entrepreneurial economy"?

Gordon Brown is a lying thieving **** - well, there's a surprise!!!!
          Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
            Gordon Brown is a lying thieving **** - well, there's a surprise!!!!
            On this occasion I think he believes what he says.

To you and I it is obvious - remove red tape, reduce and simplify taxes, and let people get on with making money.

But to Gordon Brown, nurturing an entrepreneurial economy is simply making it easy to register a new company. Compared to many countries, formation is easy in the UK.

I suspect he hasn't got much idea of what it takes to run a real business.

Comment

>But to Gordon Brown, nurturing an entrepreneurial economy is simply making it easy to register a new company.

I do believe you've hit the nail on the head there. He really doesn't have a clue.

And the real reason for the film industry tax incentive U-turn? He's pis$$ed off that he stopped getting invites to luvvie parties.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I don't think it has anything to do with the luvie parties and a lot more to do with negative press. In the whole scheme of things the tax break to the film industry was small, but the people concerned could easily get on the media and moan about how the tax system was effecting their business. Unfortunately not many other business sectors have quite the opportunity to punch well above their weight when it comes to getting media time. We certainly don't!
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Bovvered
                  Now, a year on, after several films in production or pre-production have been pulled, Gordo has cottoned on that by over taxing an industry, you effectively kill it, and therefore receive less tax.
                  The film industry was not being over-taxed. Gordo chose to stop paying for it to come here.

tim

Comment

Working...
                  X