• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scaring Computer Nerds With Swashbuckling Attitude to IT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scaring Computer Nerds With Swashbuckling Attitude to IT

I was testing an application a while back with one of the customer's employees. We were doing it on VMWare. When finished with one VM I'd just power the thing off and move on the next task.

"What are you doing? Oh no, no, no. You have to shut it down first before powering off."

Erm, ok.

Then I pulled out my USB stick.

"Wait. No, no, no. Don't you know you have to eject it first."

He then did that stupid little eject USB thing in the system tray which I have never done in my life.

It got a bit annoying.

You ever worked with anyone who insists on these kind of dumb correct way to do things?

You've been lucky.

I used to do that, then discovered on newer Apples it'll generally fsck your kit up if you pull it out without warning.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Sounds like a case of OCD - Stressed out society so it is. I blame nu labore.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

You've been lucky.

I used to do that, then discovered on newer Apples it'll generally fsck your kit up if you pull it out without warning.
        Yeah, yeah. I've been lucky for the past decade.

I think you are one of these IT nerds that I scare.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
          Yeah, yeah. I've been lucky for the past decade.

I think you are one of these IT nerds that I scare.
          No, it does seem OK on windows, and older mac kit. Just newer macs have some problems, and they really break stuff too.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

woz replacing the keyboard on my vaio whilst up and running, stupid socket on mother board broke. Got my glue gun out... quality job. No restart required.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
              No, it does seem OK on windows, and older mac kit. Just newer macs have some problems, and they really break stuff too.
              I always eject before pulling my stick out
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I used to work with a guy who would get in to a total tiswas if I closed the CD-drive by pushing on the tray. He insisted on using the button.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  woz replacing the keyboard on my vaio whilst up and running, stupid socket on mother board broke.
                  On the Dell desktops we had at ClientCo in the 1990s, removing the keyboard lead with the PC running would destroy the keyboard. I didn't believe that when told, so demonstrated it was utter bollocks.

Oops.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

My nephew was a bit stroppy the other month when I asked him to look something up on his Ipod using any unencrypted connection available. He was banging on about how it was illegal etc and wouldn't have it.

Comment

Working...
                    X