• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claim Job Seeker's Allowance between contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claim Job Seeker's Allowance between contracts

Hi,

I'm an IT contractor, working on customers site, and my situation is this:

I'll be ending a fixed term (3 mths) contract on 18th December. I am taking a couple of weeks off over the Christmas period, and have a renewal (another 3 mths) starting 4th January 2010.

Can i claim JSA for the 2 weeks that i'll be out of work, even though i know i'll be returning to the same company?

Cheers for any help/advice.

kingcook
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Are you through a LtdCo? If so, presumably you will be salaried during that period and, therefore, employed.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

why would you want to claim for JSA when you aren't looking for a job?

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        Are you through a LtdCo? If so, presumably you will be salaried during that period and, therefore, employed.
        I am not a ltd co. I use an umbella company.

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post
          why would you want to claim for JSA when you aren't looking for a job?
          JSA pays £64/wk, also i could claim NI contributions? (not sure)

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
            Hi,

I'm an IT contractor, working on customers site, and my situation is this:

I'll be ending a fixed term (3 mths) contract on 18th December. I am taking a couple of weeks off over the Christmas period, and have a renewal (another 3 mths) starting 4th January 2010.

Can i claim JSA for the 2 weeks that i'll be out of work, even though i know i'll be returning to the same company?

Cheers for any help/advice.

kingcook
            You are taking two weeks off (your own choice) and want them paid for by the government!? Sorry to be harsh, but what kind of contractor are you?

Comment

There was an item in accountig-legal the other day along similar lines under the heading of claiming benefits whilst on the bench or something like that.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...lst-bench.html

Comment

It'll be mid February before the get to process your claim and before they do, you'll have closed it and rejoined the same company.

This is going to be flagged and they will be on your case for years.

Normally I'm always up for getting back the wealth the state has stolen from people, but in this case just keep a low profile.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by XperTest View Post
                  You are taking two weeks off (your own choice) and want them paid for by the government!? Sorry to be harsh, but what kind of contractor are you?
                  One that wants what he is entitled to

If i'm not entitled to it, then fair enough. But if i am, i'd rather claim the £64 x 2 weeks allowance than it be in the government's pocket.

WRT "your own choice": Hmmm yes it was my choice, although forced to really because the company only keep skeleton staff on shift throughout the christmas period.

I guess i'll be officially un-employeed during those 2 weeks (the fact that i will be returning on a NEW contract after 2 weeks is besides the point?)

Comment

I am not a ltd co. I use an umbrella company.
                    Will they be providing you with a P45? I think you'll need one to make the claim.

Could I claim NI contributions?
                    You do not claim NI, they pay your NI for you.

Also, they pay nothing for the 1st three days, so you would get 11 days money, not 14.
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X