• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Traffic & Travel - is it snowing or not?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traffic & Travel - is it snowing or not?

BBC Radio 2 news at 6 a.m.

"Snow has caused serious disruption to the roads and public transport across the South East. It will continue to snow through the morning commute period."

6:04 a.m. Sarah Kennedy comes on:

"That's just not true! There's no snow at all!"

So what is the truth FFS?

I am trying to determine whether to head off for my Dad's house in south east Essex at 7 a.m. and could do with a proper report.

This tulipe, paranoid, panic-inducing, weather reporting is of no bloody help at all. It's like the old Soviet Pravda weather reports: fiction.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

6:30 news: "Severe Disruption"

6:30 News:

"Severe disruption across the East of the country. Drivers sleeping in cars"
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

6:34 Sarah Kennedy: "Nothing this morning"

Sarah Kennedy says there is no snow.

Radio --->

Comment

6:46 Radio 4: "Very Severe Disruption"

Radio 4's Today programme 6:46:

"Very severe disruption to the roads and railway network across South and Eastern England. Several roads and railway lines are closed."

I don't believe them.

Comment

So Sarah Kennedy has been taking messages from real people saying everything's OK but the BBC news says otherwise.

Ve hoff orders to make you believe in ze bad veazer.

Comment

BBC weather web site: "Warning over heavy snow forecast"

BBC weather web site headline:

"Warning over heavy snow forecast"

But:

Page last updated at 21:36 GMT, Thursday, 17 December 2009

What flaming use is that???

Plus (to add to the fear)

"Avalanche service's season starts"
            "Patients warned of cold weather"
            "A&E admissions soar in cold snap"

Comment

Right, we're off.

And without the recommended snow shovel.

Comment

good luck

Comment

Have fun. Greater London seems to have avoided the worst, but Gatwick is shut and parents in Kent are under 4 metres* of snow.

* probably more like 30cm, but they do like to exaggerate...
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

4 inches here in Central Essex (Chelmsford).

Mrs BGG can't get her car out of the car park, at it's on a slope and she keeps slipping back. Neither can the other neighbours.

Apparently the roads are clear beyond.

Having a cuppa, then will try again.

She's got to drive to Kent, so down the A12, M25, throught the tunnel, etc.
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X