• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ruled out / ruled in

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruled out / ruled in

Lots of sticklers for proper English on here, so please discuss:

I have just been listening to Pensions Minister Stephen Timms on "Today in parliament", saying about some forthcoming review or other that "nothing has been ruled out or ruled in".

To my mind, "ruling out" means taking hold of a ruler and using it to draw a straight line through some words, thus crossing them out. So how does "ruling in " work? It's not just Mr Timms who uses this phrase. I've definitely heard it before.

Originally posted by thunderlizard
    Lots of sticklers for proper English on here, so please discuss:

I have just been listening to Pensions Minister Stephen Timms on "Today in parliament", saying about some forthcoming review or other that "nothing has been ruled out or ruled in".

To my mind, "ruling out" means taking hold of a ruler and using it to draw a straight line through some words, thus crossing them out. So how does "ruling in " work? It's not just Mr Timms who uses this phrase. I've definitely heard it before.
    Analogy with something like tennis perhaps? The umpire could rule out a ball, or of course rule it in.

Comment

...as in

Put your left rule in.
      your left rule out.
      in out, in out
      you shake it all about.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
        ...as in

Put your left rule in.
        your left rule out.
        in out, in out
        you shake it all about.
        You forgot...

You do the Hokey-Pokey,
        And you turn yourself around.
        That's what it's all about!
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
          Perhaps you made the wrong mental analogy when you first heard "rule out".

It's like this. Imagine you are a bull, how would you feel? Now imagine how you would feel when people start throwing darts at you in a pub.

Pick another analogy, like the hokey-cokey one.

Comment

it's rule not as in ruler but as in law, edict, "rules of a game"

you can be outside of the rules or inside
            Chico, what time is it?

Comment

But a ruler also rules doesn't he.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

true!
                But not the ones I had at school
                Chico, what time is it?

Comment

...yes school rules are different.

It also depends on the school.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
                    ...yes school rules are different.

It also depends on the school.
                    Alright. Imagine you are a ruler and people start throwing darts at you in a pub.

Comment

Working...
                    X