• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is being a saver a losing strategy nowadays?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is being a saver a losing strategy nowadays?

Post content deleted.
    Last edited by Dog's Heinous; 3 January 2010, 21:35.

Originally posted by Dog's Heinous View Post
    When I say "saver" I include investing money in the stock market
    No, that's being a dirty spekulant

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      No, that's being a dirty spekulant
      spekulants rule
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Dog's Heinous View Post
        Greetings esteemed CUKers!

I was brought up to be careful with money. If I want something, I usually save up and only buy it when I've got enough money such that I can afford it. The main exception would be if I were to buy a house, and even then I would only consider taking out a loan (ie mortgage) out of necessity.

When I say "saver" I include investing money in the stock market (for example in a FTSE All-Share index tracking fund) in addition to cash deposits in a savings account.

However, I've begun to feel like complete mug, considering that people who've been reckless (ie borrowing more than they can afford to pay back, borrowing without giving any thought to how they will pay it back, spending more than they can afford) seem to be no worse off than me, and are now apparently being let-off/bailed-out etc by the state. What with that, the pathetic returns from savings accounts, and the stock market performance having been so utterly disappointing over the last ten years, I'm beginning to wonder whether being a saver is a losing strategy nowadays. I blame the governments meddling in the economy. By not allowing businesses to fail, bailing people/banks/firms out, encouraging people to buy things they don't need (car scrappage scheme?) etc, they are distorting capitalism and creating a disincentive to be sensible, work hard, save for the long term etc.

What does the panel think, is it a mugs game to be a saver in modern Britain?

Cheers,
        Dog's Heinous
        Just my opinion. I'm as clueless as the next man!
        The reckless must pay for the damage they have caused.
        Yes, they should be made to pay!
        Did I say that the reckless should pay?
        No savings have not been the mugs game you claim

The secret is to actually invest in in something that will produce tangible results - All my company reserves are invested in fixed income bonds paying 6%.

I buy an ETF which holds 200 or so bonds so you get a wide diversified exposure. Volatility is low and bid offer spreads tight.

My current favourites are ishares SLXX and ishares iBoxx ISXF.

Comment

Is being a screen saver a losing strategy nowadays?

Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Just shut it you cretinous imbecile.
            You're like a pub bore.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Just shut it you cretinous imbecile.
              You're like a pub bore.
              Who let the retard out on a Sunday?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Dog's Heinous
                Actually, I've learned to love (well, maybe not love, but at least tollerate) assguru. CUK without assguru would be like a village without it's idiot.

its

Materially you are correct though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dog's Heinous
                  Ha ha, good call!

Actually, I've learned to love (well, maybe not love, but at least tollerate) assguru. CUK without assguru would be like a village without it's idiot.
                  :-)

Dog's Heinous
                  The most outspoken dog on CUK!
                  The irony hangs heavy but is probably unnoticed.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    Who let the retard out on a Sunday?
                    Wasn't he banned?

Comment

Working...
                    X