• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tony Blair: I could make much more money

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony Blair: I could make much more money

Tony Blair has likened himself to Bill Gates, the world’s richest man, and suggested he could make five times as many lucrative speeches as he does now

The former prime minister defended his moneymaking activities since leaving office, which have seen him earn an estimated £14 million in little more than two years. He said the bulk of his time is actually spent on unpaid political and charity work.

As well as a £2 million-a-year advisory job with a US investment bank and a lucrative contract to write his memoirs, Mr Blair earns hundreds of thousands of pounds for paid speeches.

Earlier this year, it was reported that he was paid nearly £400,000 for two 30-minute speeches during a 36-hour visit to the Philippines.

Mr Blair said that, aged 56, he is young enough to pursue a second career and compared himself to Mr Gates, the Microsoft founder and philanthropist whose personal wealth is estimated at $40 billion.

More from Torygraph

AtW's comment: the only speech I'd pay him for is the one he'd have to make in court whilst pleading guilty to numerous charges that should have been brought against him years ago. That would be a very popular Pay-Per-View event.

Stab-stab-stabbity-stab-stab
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      AtW's comment: the only speech I'd pay him for is the one he'd have to make in court whilst pleading guilty to numerous charges that should have been brought against him years ago. That would be a very popular Pay-Per-View event.
      Not as popular as this event.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Tony Blair has likened himself to Bill Gates, the world’s richest man...

...Mr Blair said that, aged 56, he is young enough to pursue a second career and compared himself to Mr Gates, the Microsoft founder and philanthropist whose personal wealth is estimated at $40 billion.
        Bill Gates is a reasonably clever bloke, whose life's work helps a billion people in their lives, and who created employment for a million more.

I can't think of a single similarity between him and Tony Blair.

Comment

No reason to suggest Tony's not a clever bloke. Got to be pretty clever to manipulate your way to party leadership.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Got to be pretty clever to manipulate your way to party leadership.
            This requires other talents more than cleverness: the key ability required is lack of morals in order to abuse the trust of people who believed his words.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              No reason to suggest Tony's not a clever bloke. Got to be pretty clever to manipulate your way to party leadership.
              That is a fair point.

I suppose I was referring to knowledge, and abilities in problem-solving and judgement, that kind of thing. But being mealy-mouthed is an ability in its own right if you can do it well.

Comment

Working...
              X