• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My PC died last night :-(

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My PC died last night :-(

Not the best time to but another but with VAT going up on the 1st I'm going to have to bite the bullet.

In the meantime I need to recover last week's work (not much but Sod's Law say's this happens when I don't backup :-( ).

So I'm just asking for help here before mving along into Technical....

TIA

Cojak from her Asus...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

When you say died, is a board fault or hard drive?.

If the drive is ok, then no big thing. just pull the drive and do an external connect to recover the work.

Cheap n easy.
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

What actually died on the PC ?

If you turn it on, and there is no sound, no whirring, the system doesn't boot, no nothing, then :

Change the kettle lead that goes to the PC (eg, faulty fuse, loose wire)

After doing that, do an internal cable seating check. Check everything is connected, all the cards are seated. Definitely reset the RAM Memory.

Otherwise it's likely to be your power supply unit in the PC. Open up the case, look at the old PSU, and get an equivalent model and rating wattage. Get a friend to fit or do it yourself by learning how the old one comes out.

Still no joy with booting, and no power at all, even with a new PSU and we're in to new motherboard territory.

Data retrieval is easy enough depending on whether you have IDE or SATA HDD's and there a USB converters which attach the drive from the old PC to your laptop or new PC via a USB port. Treats the disk as an external HDD, basically.

Good Luck !
      Last edited by Board Game Geek; 21 December 2009, 07:56.
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
        What actually died on the PC ?

If you turn it on, and there is no sound, no whirring, the system doesn't boot, no nothing, then :

Change the kettle lead that goes to the PC (eg, faulty fuse, loose wire)

After doing that, do an internal cable seating check. Check everything is connected, all the cards are seated. Definitely reset the RAM Memory.

Otherwise it's likely to be your power supply unit in the PC. Open up the case, look at the old PSU, and get an equivalent model and rating wattage. Get a friend to fit or do it yourself by learning how the old one comes out.

Still no joy with booting, and no power at all, even with a new PSU and we're in to new motherboard territory.

Data retrieval is easy enough depending on whether you have IDE or SATA HDD's and there a USB converters which attach the drive from the old PC to your laptop or new PC via a USB port. Treats the disk as an external HDD, basically.

Good Luck !
        WHS

Only he said it with much more detail (and elegance)
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Sorry about that Chaps, was distracted a moment.

The power is ok - it's the disk that's gone I'm afraid.

It started last night when the keyboard and mouse failed to respond in the middle of a little light surfing. I don't think that caused it (I was on this site at the time) but Window updates having been giving me problems over the last couple of days and I had to do a System Restore on the one before last.

It powers up but gets stuck during Windows boot-up.

It does this on Safe-Mode as well. I've managed to get it as far as CHKDISK but it gets stuck on the 3rd stage.

I've now got a Linux CD distro in and am considering doing a NTFSFIX as it suggests when I attempt to look at the disk.

That's as far as I've got...
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post

Good Luck !
            Is that easy enough to do PC > Mac?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Sorry about that Chaps, was distracted a moment.

The power is ok - it's the disk that's gone I'm afraid.

It started last night when the keyboard and mouse failed to respond in the middle of a little light surfing. I don't think that caused it (I was on this site at the time) but Window updates having been giving me problems over the last couple of days and I had to do a System Restore on the one before last.

It powers up but gets stuck during Windows boot-up.

It does this on Safe-Mode as well. I've managed to get it as far as CHKDISK but it gets stuck on the 3rd stage.

I've now got a Linux CD distro in and am considering doing a NTFSFIX as it suggests when I attempt to look at the disk.

That's as far as I've got...
              Seems like the OS is stuffed.

This may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Seems like the OS is stuffed.

This may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058
                Ta Paddy, I'll take a look...

Comment

OK, so from Paddy's pointer I've found 'How to perform an in-place upgrade (reintallation) of Windows XP'

I might give that a go next.

Comment

I reckon this is a software problem. Boot up from the emergency floppy or CD or whatever and try again. If you can't boot up from some device then it's your hardware.

I had a similar problem after a software update that the mouse stopped working from time to time.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X