• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice and Help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice and Help

I was wondering if you would give us, an umbrella company, some advice. Other than good tax savings and a personal and efficient service, what would you like from an umbrella service. We want to make sure that we are as aligned as possible with our clients and want to get contractors veiws.

What annoys you about umbrella companies and what more can they do to help?

Also where do you recommend that we advertise for clients.

I would appreciate any advice you can give and also understand if you think I am being a bit cheeky but I really am interested!

Thanks for your help in advance!!!!

When I was with an umbrella company, this is what they could have doner better:
    - be available on the phone when I had a query (I used to have to phone about 5 times to speak to someone)
    - be clear about how payslips are calculated i.e. EE NI, ER NI, tax etc - seriously from one month to the next it was all different and used to drive me nuts
    - be clear about that holiday pay business - I know it comes as a surprise to many people when it is first mentioned

Mine used to pay on time (BACS day after funds received from agency), weekly invoicing was possible and on line timesheet and invoice generation was much appreciated

Don't lie about expenses and don't let people think they are "entitled" to "up to £XX expenses" if they don't actually incur them

If all of the above is OK, then you have a very good start in my book! I think contractors want the umbrella company part of the "chain" to be as seamless as possible, so in some ways, the less you have to do with them the better - bit like the agency.
    Chico, what time is it?

Comment

I've worked with fellow contractors who have used Umbrella's, the reason I've worked with them is that through personal experience I know what to do if an agent defaults on the contract - namely payment. Most umbrellas I have found have no procedure that allows the contractor to push for payment ie through court. As the contract is between the umbrella and agent the contractor has had to rely on the umbrella deciding if they wish to take it to court and I've never found an umbrella that would and this can leave the contractor out of pocket. It is essential that there is some procedure that protects the contractor from non-paying agents. Even if the umbrella was unwilling to take the court action there should be someway of the contract being transferred to the contractor so they may.

As for advertisng somewhere like this board is a starter.

Comment

Thank you

Both your comments are really appreciated and will definately be taken on board. We hope that we can really try to provide a service that people will feel happy to use and not just as an evil necessity!!! I really do appreciate when people say that they can't get through to people and realise that that is a real pain and also would like to address the issue of non payment from agencies. I am not sure whether one can pass on the legal right to chase payment to the contractor but will check it out. SO thanks for your comments!!!!

Comment

I am not sure whether one can pass on the legal right to chase payment to the contractor
          Nor am I. The contractor's contract is with you, not the agency. Paying the contractor is what you do, how you recover those monies is your problem.

Isn't it?
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
            Nor am I. The contractor's contract is with you, not the agency. Paying the contractor is what you do, how you recover those monies is your problem.

Isn't it?
            Only if a contractor sues them.

Tim

Comment

Debt collectors survive by taking on other companies debtors so I'm sure there is a way - much as there is a clause in most agents contracts that should they get brought out then your contract is transferred to the new owner.

The other method is to ensure that the brolly has a legal representative that the contractor can call upon to do the legal work required so it fits in with the brolly's process and protects them as well if any comeback. The main thing I was hoping could be avoided was that certain brolly's when in this situation just do nothing and the contractor loses and has no way of getting action.

Comment

I would definitely advise you to brush up on your spelling.

It's "contractors' concerns" as there is more than one contractor.
                We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Completely understand where you are coming from Privateeye. I guess they often can't/ don't want to pay for legal costs but I think that they do need to be doing far more. AM definately going to look into it more.

Comment

Originally posted by Commonwealth Contractors
                    Completely understand where you are coming from Privateeye. I guess they often can't/ don't want to pay for legal costs but I think that they do need to be doing far more. AM definately going to look into it more.
                    I think it would be acceptable to most if the cost of any action was taken on by the contractor and its not necessarily that expensive as the majority of agencies would pay immediately when in receipt of a Statutory Demand and to this stage is upto £200 if you include personal delivery by a PI/Bailiff etc.

I would suggest looking into credit control techniques as this will avoid legal action in most cases and could be done in-house very cheaply. Surprising how a few choice words can recover a debt, I have recoverred debts with just 1 phone call just promising to deliver a statutory demand.

I think some agencies out there now know with the increasing amount of brolly's out there how difficult it is for a contractor to take legal action and are starting to take advantage - normally happens with the final payment on contract termination.

Comment

Working...
                    X