• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christmas Box

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Box

When I was a lad doing my paper-round I always used to get tips from my "customers" at Christmas which made some of the cold wet mornings worthwhile, and my mum used to leave a card for the binmen, the milkman, and the postmen with a tenner in, does anyone still do this?

How much do you give the cleaning lady? the butler? the under-gardner?

R

Don't really leave anything for the postie, and since the bin men continually break all the recycling boxes and damage peoples fences - nowt
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Halcyon View Post
      When I was a lad doing my paper-round I always used to get tips from my "customers" at Christmas which made some of the cold wet mornings worthwhile, and my mum used to leave a card for the binmen, the milkman, and the postmen with a tenner in, does anyone still do this?

How much do you give the cleaning lady? the butler? the under-gardner?

R
      I Give the Postman, the binmen and the recycling boys £20 each.

Result! If I forget to put my bins or recycling box out on collection day, the come into the garden and get it themselves and always put them back in the garden.

The village postman will usually drop small parcels off to me on the way home from work if he can't get them through the letterbox and nobody is home, or will bring them back the next day. I usually give him a cuppa if I'm working from home as well.

The housekeeper and gardener is my wife, so she gets a big tip at Christmas too
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Our 'postie' seems to be whichever temp they happen to have thrown at the round that day. Mostly not even kitted out with any sort of uniform.

Our binmen can GTF as well. They are incentivised on what they manage to refuse to take and work on the basis that the more recycling bags and boxes they render useless, lost and broken, the less of the tiresome stuff they will actually have to handle. They also go out of their way to make sure people's wheely bins obstruct their drive as well (the 'should-have-tried-harder-at-school doss ****s).
        Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
          Our 'postie' seems to be whichever temp they happen to have thrown at the round that day. Mostly not even kitted out with any sort of uniform.

Our binmen can GTF as well. They are incentivised on what they manage to refuse to take and work on the basis that the more recycling bags and boxes they render useless, lost and broken, the less of the tiresome stuff they will actually have to handle. They also go out of their way to make sure people's wheely bins obstruct their drive as well (the 'should-have-tried-harder-at-school doss ****s).
          I'm glad I live in a small community where consideration for others is still the order of the day!

The local bus drivers will even stop at the end of our drive so that my wife doesn't have to walk the 100ft to and from the bus stop.
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

We have two porters looking after our building and I usually give them a bottle of wine each at Christmas.

For the postie and the binmen, I don't ever have any contact with them so don't bother.

Comment

Our postie gets a nip of brandy if I catch him around Christmas. The binmen should all be back in their home countries making them a better place to live in, not depriving lazy southeners of their opportunity to work, so get no encouragement from me. Jesus, I'm starting to sound like my Dad!

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                I'm glad I live in a small community where consideration for others is still the order of the day!

The local bus drivers will even stop at the end of our drive so that my wife doesn't have to walk the 100ft to and from the bus stop.
                I got a lift home from the pub the other day in an out of service bus; it's only a 20-25 minute walk but it was a cold 'orrible evening and the bus just pulled up and offered me a lift. The drivers view was "it's not my bus and we're going the same way". Made me feel all warm and christmassy so I am now firmly in the tip the delivery guys mode, thanks all.

I guess it'll cost another ton but I probably made that on elastic lunch hours from the last contract...

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post

WHS ...

Comment

Originally posted by Halcyon View Post

How much do you give the cleaning lady?
                    A good seeing to as she's a super fit hot young Brazillian. Fascinating to watch her limber up with a Henry. The old one that sometimes (disappointingly) turns up isn't too bad I suppose, so, in the season of goodwill, probably her as well.
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X