• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Condensation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Condensation

Anyone have any practical experience of dealing effectively with this?

The tenants in one of my BTL's have been complaining of this for a while now.

The problem arises around about this time of the year until the weather improves in the Spring.

It is confined to a couple of bedrooms upstairs at the rear of the house which is a 30's built semi.

Over the years, to address the issue, I have installed air vents in the affected rooms and advised the tenants to make sure they open windows to ensure air flow throughout the house.

However, I know they rarely do this as whenever I ask them, they go all quite.

It is particularly made worse by the fact, I kid you not, one year when I went round there they had the heating on so high they were strolling around the house in t-shirt and shorts as if they were on the beach! However, since gas prices have risen, they are being a bit more sensible.

I am not sure what else I can do to solve this but was wondering if having cavity insulation injected into the walls would make any difference as the affected walls in the affected rooms are extremely cold. However, I am not sure if this will solve the issue or even if such insulation can be done on the first floor - I know they can inject cavity insulation on the ground floor.

Any appropriate advice appreciated.

(Witty/pithy comments de-rigueur!)

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Eurostar??

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      Eurostar??

You beat me to it!
      Cats are evil.

Comment

I had a condensation problem in my summer house in Ireland, I bought a dehumidifier for about £89 in B&Q, problem solved.

HTH
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Any tips appreciated.

A piece of apple or potato in your tobacco tin will stop the baccy drying up

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

The tenants in one of my BTL's have been complaining of this for a while now.

The problem arises around about this time of the year until the weather improves in the Spring.

It is confined to a couple of bedrooms upstairs at the rear of the house which is a 30's built semi.

Over the years, to address the issue, I have installed air vents in the affected rooms and advised the tenants to make sure they open windows to ensure air flow throughout the house.

However, I know they rarely do this as whenever I ask them, they go all quite.

It is particularly made worse by the fact, I kid you not, one year when I went round there they had the heating on so high they were strolling around the house in t-shirt and shorts as if they were on the beach! However, since gas prices have risen, they are being a bit more sensible.

I am not sure what else I can do to solve this but was wondering if having cavity insulation injected into the walls would make any difference as the affected walls in the affected rooms are extremely cold. However, I am not sure if this will solve the issue or even if such insulation can be done on the first floor - I know they can inject cavity insulation on the ground floor.

Any appropriate advice appreciated.

Get them to apply for grant aid for cavity insulation (About £159) it won't stop the condensation though, just make the rooms warmer.

Are they drying clothes on radiators?
            • Drill and fit vents to the lower window frames
            • Ensure that there is an extractor in the bathroom and kitchen

No other advice sorry
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

If they can afford to put the heating on then you're obviously not charging them enough rent.

Comment

Tell them that you'll bill them for the damage that the condensation causes.

Also remind them of the dangers of carbon monoxide. The danger may not be real in your case, but if they are stupid enough to not ventilate then they may fall for it.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

My experience has been that installing good quality double glassing has always greatly reduced the amount of condensation. Obviously, there must be a secondary effect in action. I think the windows we have been putting in are gas filled and I guess the inner and outer panes are at a higher temperature differential, compared to the originals, meaning the water no longer condenses on the inner pane. I currently have a mixture of windows in a couple of rooms and the older windows are the only ones affected by condensation.

Comment

As they are too lazy and are too stupid to deal with it I suggest you give them a leaflet on condensation - google for one from your local council as it's a common problem. Then in writing, as stated by HAB, tell them you will bill them for the damage caused due to not following the leaflet.

I've lived in more than one property which had condensation problems due to lifestyle i.e. student house where we didn't like putting the heating on and structure i.e. 30's flat with metal windows and I learnt to deal with it so I didn't lose my deposit.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X