• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

snowbound and stranded at home, relying on lifts from neighbours in their 4x4s

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

snowbound and stranded at home, relying on lifts from neighbours in their 4x4s

Bloody weather - the road is not gritted by the council and never will be and its on a hill which makes it treacherous.

It was Ok for the first day or two.

I'm fed up of clearing the garden paths (the dog has to be taken out) and the drive.

Dunno why I bothered with the drive, its so steep I can't get the car up it.

So we've been stranded. For groceries I had to walk to the top of the road and get picked up by a minicab - who charged £9.40 for a 2 mile journey. Luckily on the way back a neighbour was in the supermarket so I got a life home.

Today I had to get dog food as it had almost run out and had to be ordered at the Vet's last week. Luckily again another neighbour was able to take me in their 4x4.

Tomorrow I will have to scrounge a lift from someone just to to a pre Xmas food shop and to buy some Xmas presents.

Council information is tulipe - it confirms the road will never be salted - but gives NO effing advice on how to get it done privately. There is a salt bin on the road officially to allow homeowners to clear the pavements in front of their homes. It was emptied on the first day of snow by the nearest resident using it to clear their own drive and has not been replenished.

I guess I'm lucky 2 miles to the supermarket is not that bad and there is a petrol station at the top of the road, so how are are families in the sticks with young kids stranded at home managing? I guess the community spirit must be stronger around those places.

vent over.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    Bloody weather - the road is not gritted by the council and never will be and its on a hill which makes it treacherous.

You'll have the last laugh once global warming will raise seas and you'll be king of the hill....

Comment

Aren't these pretty standard conditions if one lives in the countryside in winter? I always assumed that was why people who live in rural areas tend to have 4x4s and a large stockpile of household supplies, together with lots of fridge-freezers stuffed full of food.

Still, you now know to be prepared in advance next winter.

I believe the weather's supposed to improve this week. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post

It was Ok for the first day or two.

I'm fed up of clearing the garden paths (the dog has to be taken out) and the drive.

Dunno why I bothered with the drive, its so steep I can't get the car up it.

So we've been stranded. For groceries I had to walk to the top of the road and get picked up by a minicab - who charged £9.40 for a 2 mile journey. Luckily on the way back a neighbour was in the supermarket so I got a life home.

Today I had to get dog food as it had almost run out and had to be ordered at the Vet's last week. Luckily again another neighbour was able to take me in their 4x4.

Tomorrow I will have to scrounge a lift from someone just to to a pre Xmas food shop and to buy some Xmas presents.

Council information is tulipe - it confirms the road will never be salted - but gives NO effing advice on how to get it done privately. There is a salt bin on the road officially to allow homeowners to clear the pavements in front of their homes. It was emptied on the first day of snow by the nearest resident using it to clear their own drive and has not been replenished.

I guess I'm lucky 2 miles to the supermarket is not that bad and there is a petrol station at the top of the road, so how are are families in the sticks with young kids stranded at home managing? I guess the community spirit must be stronger around those places.

vent over.

For Permies

For Contractors (Because Harrods don't do groceries online)

Comment

To everyone who has scoffed at us for having a 4x4 for the school run - hope you enjoy keeping your car down the bottom of the hill and, finally,
          Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

I believe the weather's supposed to improve this week. Good luck
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Get a 4x4, or a council that will do its job. Since this is Britain, I'd recommend a solution with "Land Rover" or "Jeep" in the name.
              Step outside posh boy

Comment

I've suggested before that you lot should get a set of winter wheels and tyres.

of course initially the outlay looks expensive but your tyres last twice as long as you run the summer wheels/tyres in summer and winters in winter

if you had a set of winters tyres on any front wheel drive car you would have no problem in the snow

there you are, a set of michelins for a 16' wheel (ideal for us Passat owners):

http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/...-16,100,T.html

not only will it help you in the snow, the grip of these tyres is so good you will benefit in the rain too, and for example pulling away, corners etc

I've suggested this before, and I suggest it again

on the Pathfinder we have Pirelli scorpions:

http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/...R17,110,H.html

fantastic tyres for the winter

Milan.

Comment

They do actually. I used to help out in the stables of King Hussain of Jordan in Barkham when I was a kid. He used to get his newspapers delivered by a Harrods van along with tea, milk and bread. Bit like a glorified milk float.
                  Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Buying a 4x4 for £30,000 seems a bit of an overkill, when you can pick up a set of winter tyres for £200, and if that aint enough you can spend an extra £30 on some snow chains.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X