• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coffee Making Duties

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coffee Making Duties

I've had a couple of coffee making related incidents in the first few days of a couple of contracts in the past and as a result have developed a
    real complex about making coffee for people. Place where I've just started has a coffee round of 15 people and you have to walk down 2 flights of stairs & through 3 sets of doors
    to get the job done, i.e. plenty of scope for a disaster. So far, I've managed to avoid doing a round by abstaining from drinking anything but how can I keep it up without appearing to be a totally unsociable sod?

Buy a £20 kettle to use it in your office.

Sorted.

Comment

just tell them you don't do coffee rounds and that you prefer to get your own, simple as that
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
        just tell them you don't do coffee rounds and that you prefer to get your own, simple as that
        would that not make him a totally unsociable sod?
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Not at all...hate tea rounds...i want to make a drink when i want...and hate doing loads at once - also no-one makes a cuppa as good as me!!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Sorted.
            No. Think like a contractor. Spend a few £1000 on a decent coffee machine for your desk.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Sorted.
              They don't allow them in the big places, have an elf and safety bloke at your desk in 30 seconds.

Yes, I am the same, round of 12 in my latest gig so I don't bother drinking tea anymore.

Used to work in a place where you rolled a dice to see who's turn it was and at the end of the month the person who had made the least had to buy everyone lunch at the local cheapo chinese.

Comment

wurzel!

Make the coffee you bone idle git
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Bring one of the servants to work with you.

Sorted.
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    No. Think like a contractor. Spend a few £1000 on a decent coffee machine for your desk.
                    Well said that man. The one we shared a decade ago cost 400 quid to repair and we didn't even flinch at the cost, because it produced excellent coffee at a fraction of the price of the vending machines.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X