• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Subject to Survey : House Buying

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subject to Survey : House Buying

Hello chaps and chapesses, we'd like to ask some advice, as we are 1st time buyers and not sure how to proceed with the following.

We made an 3rd offer on a house, which has now been accepted (at guide price), subject to survey, which is standard as we understand.

We appointed a full structural survey by a RICS surveyor (instead of a noddy homebuyer survey) and his report details a number of things, most of them cosmetic, or what you could consider to be natural wear and tear on a 50 year old house. We're not going to quibble about that, obviously.

What we do want to quibble about are
    • 2 asbestos cold water tanks in the loft,
    • the porch which needs reroofing due to leaks,
    • the garage which needs a new side door due to wet rot, plus the same with the garage window, and the garage up and over door which is buckled

How does a buyer typically proceed at this point...

1. Tell our conveyancer, who then tells their convenyancer, and they haggle it out ?
    2. Tell their conveyancer that we are not happy, and then they might offer to reduce the price ?

We're not sure at this point who does what, since we've not bought before.

We are quite prepared to overlook a few other things, such as the poor insulation in the loft, because at the time it was the correct depth for regulations, and we don't consider that to be "damage", but more of an improvement, and one we shall make.

Also, we think it would be cheeky to ask for an arbitary figure to be knocked off.

As Mrs BGG works in the construction trade, we were going to offer to get discounted quotations for the repairs, at cost, and just ask for these 3 bills to be reduced from the guide price.

Sorry to be noobs, but this is new to us.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Get guide prices for the work that needs to be done.

Use these prices as a starting point to haggle and be prepared to settle in the middle.

HTH

Comment

The only thing I would be concerned about is
      "2 asbestos cold water tanks in the loft"

Get a quote for replacing them, as there are so many rule about removing and disposal of asbestos these days, it might be more than you think.
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

If there are asbestos lagged tanks, then I would honestly suggest an asbestos survey of the whole property.

Old Artex and lining board are common in old properties and can cost thousands for removal.
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
          The only thing I would be concerned about is
          "2 asbestos cold water tanks in the loft"

Get a quote for replacing them, as there are so many rule about removing and disposal of asbestos these days, it might be more than you think.
          ALOT more!

Comment

More info + some costs :

http://www.housebuildersupdate.co.uk...s-removal.html
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
              If there are asbestos lagged tanks, then I would honestly suggest an asbestos survey of the whole property.

Old Artex and lining board are common in old properties and can cost thousands for removal.
              Any asbestos is probably a good haggling point. But it's only a big palava if you want to make it one. Old boards if left in place are not a problem, it's only if you start breaking them up. I removed some old asbestos boarding, just unscrewed it and removed it and took it to the local tip that deals with asbestos. Job done for free.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                Any asbestos is probably a good haggling point. But it's only a big palava if you want to make it one. Old boards if left in place are not a problem, it's only if you start breaking them up. I removed some old asbestos boarding, just unscrewed it and removed it and took it to the local tip that deals with asbestos. Job done for free.
                Asbestos in lungs you can pay for later
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

yep. Dont mess about with asbestos. My uncle removed some lagging, there was a lot of dust and he got asbestosis and it killed him.
                  It took over four days to cremate him

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

With this usually - Mesothelioma

My father worked in an asbestos factory forty years ago and was diagnosed with this a few weeks ago, he's got about six months left. He worked in the factory for two weeks.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X