• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Skills & knowledge transfer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skills & knowledge transfer

Could anyone offer any advice re methods/processes/best practice/ideas etc of how to effectively carry-out skills and knowledge transfer to permie staff?

Any links to tools and resources that could be useful would also be appreciated.

Cheers lots in advance,

Z

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear

HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by zebedoo View Post
      Could anyone offer any advice re methods/processes/best practice/ideas etc of how to effectively carry-out skills and knowledge transfer to permie staff?

Any links to tools and resources that could be useful would also be appreciated.

Cheers lots in advance,

Z
      I never do that unless I am contracted to do it as a particular role. It’s a bit like getting an electrician to rewire half your house and then asking him to teach you how to do the second half.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear

HTH
        WHS

I've a client with a 'senior programmer' who doesn't know the difference between compiled and interpreted languages and another where the testers failed a rollout because the .rpm file would not install on Windows.

But that's the AeroSpace industry for you, and I'm so glad I can bicycle most places.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Any links to tools
          A KT tool? Wish i'd have had one of those last year when i spent months in knowledge transfer to offshore.

Basically just Word is your friend, document everything and ensure those docs are good as once you've gone they'll blame every problem on the fact you didn't teach them X, Y & Z.

We had multiple sessions per app then after they had read and digested anything, we had reverse KT's where they repeated everything i'd told them back to me and i produced a score sheet based on my perception of their understanding. Then further sessions were scheduled based on this until i was happy they had 'got' the info.

So basically, there's no 'set' format that i know of as its totally dependent on the type of tasks you are handing over but basically we went:

a) I produce docs and hand over with instruction to read and digest and flag any areas that are not understood
          b) Face to face session(s) where i go over the docs and they raise anything identified in a).
          c) They produce their own doc sets based on b), i review and further session to go over these and amend
          d) Session where they present their understanding to me and i score based on this and identify any missed info. They then perform the presentation again until i'm happy and sign off that i think they are ok to move to e)
          e) Secondary support/development where i pass any non-critical tasks to them for resolution/build
          f) Primary support/development phase where they are in control but i hang around in case anything goes pear shaped (YouTube and eBay are your friends here)
          g) Your pass is revoked and you are waved off to the bench

Comment

I did a year of knowledge transfer and I used powerpoint to present diagrams of the various systems and associated processes during training sessions. Using a tablet was very helpful.

I have found that having a Question & Answer document is the best for system support. Using this method means you don't have to worry about whether the document reads properly, flows etc and can be updated easily whenever you think of another useful tip etc.
            How do I find out whether the nightly batch job ran correctly?

Log on to the system as the XYZ user and execute the following query using sqlplus.

select * from batch_history where .....

Comment

Cheers lots in advance,

Z
              fook em

HTH

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I advise that unless they are all ex contractors, don't waste your time
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

One method would be to take a tin of brasso , a chamois leather and a large trud. Preferably a steamer.
                  If you can manage to polish said trud, so that you can see your face in it, you are ready and fully trained to make the skills transfer.
                  If you fail to polish the trud, then you have learned a valuable lesson in life

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    One method would be to take a tin of brasso , a chamois leather and a large trud. Preferably a steamer.
                    If you can manage to polish said trud, so that you can see your face in it, you are ready and fully trained to make the skills transfer.
                    If you fail to polish the trud, then you have learned a valuable lesson in life

PS. Remember not to chew your fingernails afterwards
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                    X