• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google Interview Question - Probability

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Interview Question - Probability

In a country in which people only want boys…
    …every family continues to have children until they have a boy. If they have a girl, they have another child. If they have a boy, they stop. What is the proportion of boys to girls in the country?

Answers

It depends on how many baby girls get killed after they are born - that's what allegedly happening in China in rural areas

Comment

Are we allowed to use Google to look up the answers?

Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

There was a chap at Yahoo! who took the ten or so pages of interview questions away with him and posted them on his blog. They weren't very happy about that

They still gave him a job, once he'd taken them down

(Oh, and they don't ask idiotic questions about mythical countries or piano tuners - just sensible technical questions.)

Comment

Same as normal? Near 50%.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Er no ang on a mo.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Same as normal? Near 50%.
              Yep. Near enough 50%.

But:

0% of families will have 2 or more Boys.

25% of families will have 2 or more Girls.

50% of families will be a single child boy family.

0% of families will be a single child girl family.

Basically the families with girls will have more girls to balance out the families that have only a single boy.
              Last edited by Iron Condor; 26 December 2009, 21:37.

Comment

Correct, but not a full explanation.
                Assuming a (very small to keep things simple) country with 100 fertile couples, assuming a 50/50 chance of having a boy or girl, and disregarding genetic abberations...

First go: 50 boys, 50 girls
                then 25 boys, 25 girls
                then we run into 'statistics' land with
                12.5 boys, 12.5 girls, and so on.

It won't be exactly 50% outside 'statistics' land in the real world, but near as dammit, and I'm not anal enough or that bothered to work out the finer details.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                  It won't be exactly 50% outside 'statistics' land in the real world, but near as dammit, and I'm not anal enough or that bothered to work out the finer details.
                  Sounds like you ain't Google quality candidate...

btw, looks like you nicked my binary idea showing Xeno geek points

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    btw, looks like you nicked my binary idea showing Xeno geek points
                    You had to be there

Comment

Working...
                    X