• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Been thinking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been thinking

Probably a bit deeply for over the Christmas period, but still.

This year has been great in terms of work, lots of it, but as some of you recall there were some challenging times. The current gig is going great after a slightly shaky start, and I think that was mainly down to me as I had not fully recovered from my ordeal with the rookie PM.

I just don't seem to get excited by programming as much as I used to. The very thought of lifting some data out of a table and chucking it onto a screen makes me yawn. Web services, boooooring. I enjoy coding my Plan B, but that's in C with GTK+, and is not yet making me money.

So, here's the thing. Do I just set up an E-Commerce web site thingy and sell custom PCs, or radio controlled helicopters to the great unwashed? Or would I get bored? I was thinking it would enable me to work locally and walk the kids to school, play with the latest gizmos, possible write some reviews for the site. And code my Plan B as and when I get the time.

(I am fully aware that I am trivialising the effort required to set up and e-commerce web site but I have researched it significantly in the past and have a pretty good handle on what is required)

I guess in summary, after reading that book about "Who moved my cheese" I'm thinking I like IT, but maybe I can get my kicks elsewhere in the industry. I'd be happy bringing in enough to maintain our current lifestyle which is pretty average but we're happy.

Or will coding become fun again? And not offshored all the flaming time?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Wilmslooooow!
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
      Wilmslooooow!
      Ok I asked for that.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        I guess in summary, after reading that book about "Who moved my cheese" I'm thinking I like IT, but maybe I can get my kicks elsewhere in the industry. I'd be happy bringing in enough to maintain our current lifestyle which is pretty average but we're happy.
        The thing I hated about "Who moved my cheese" is why they didn't just make more cheese?

Comment

You will probably think I'm talking rubbish, but I think you'd enjoy teaching (so long as it involves people who want to learn).
          Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

So, here's the thing. Do I just set up an E-Commerce web site thingy and sell custom PCs, or radio controlled helicopters to the great unwashed? Or would I get bored? I was thinking it would enable me to work locally and walk the kids to school, play with the latest gizmos, possible write some reviews for the site. And code my Plan B as and when I get the time.
            If the above is a viable alternative, with no loss in standard of living, then for me it's a no-brainer.

Comment

Do I just set up an E-Commerce web site thingy and sell custom PCs, or radio controlled helicopters to the great unwashed?
              Selling custom PCs, PC "services" such as disinfecting machines or "business support" and maybe even RC helicopters could well be a non-starter. IME there isn't enough work out there (although IIRC you're in a city, I am not) and people aren't really willing to pay decent money for what work there is. Question: do you think you could match your current daily rate by selling 'stuff', day in, day out?

I've been somewhat down this route, and the pessimist in me says this is much more difficult than it looks. I suspect that getting the product 'right' is more luck than judgement.

I haven't been a hard-core coder (i.e. my day job) for about 10 years now, so when a bit of interesting coding comes along, I love to do it. I think not having to do it every day makes a huge difference here, and what does come along is usually my choice, so more fun. I doubt I could do it for my "day job" again.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                Selling custom PCs, PC "services" such as disinfecting machines or "business support" and maybe even RC helicopters could well be a non-starter. IME there isn't enough work out there (although IIRC you're in a city, I am not) and people aren't really willing to pay decent money for what work there is. Question: do you think you could match your current daily rate by selling 'stuff', day in, day out?

I've been somewhat down this route, and the pessimist in me says this is much more difficult than it looks. I suspect that getting the product 'right' is more luck than judgement.

I haven't been a hard-core coder (i.e. my day job) for about 10 years now, so when a bit of interesting coding comes along, I love to do it. I think not having to do it every day makes a huge difference here, and what does come along is usually my choice, so more fun. I doubt I could do it for my "day job" again.
                Dying to know, what is your day job?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  The thing I hated about "Who moved my cheese" is why they didn't just make more cheese?
                  The feint grasp of sanity I had is now lost.

Comment

You should work on ways to be able to work on your Plan B during your paid 9-5 day. Seek out jobs that allow this. Don't seek out challenging jobs.

All programming jobs become dull work after a while - unless you have complete freedom over what you do, which not many do.

Comment

Working...
                    X