• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Harold Pinter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harold Pinter

http://nobelprize.org/literature/lau...r-lecture.html

If anybody here gets a spare 45 minutes I would recommend that you watch the real audio of Harold Pinters Nobel prize speech.

Very moving, starts off slow, but works itself up into a rapture of political dissent, peppered with the political speech we have become so accustomed too, applying the Orwellian concepts of truth to the current political status quo.

I know we are all probably a bit sick of American bashing speeches, but the theatrical delivery and persuasive oratory of this lecture IMHO is reason enough to watch it.
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Originally posted by sunnysan

If anybody here gets a spare 45 minutes I would recommend that you watch the real audio of Harold Pinters Nobel prize speech.

Very moving, starts off slow, but works itself up into a rapture of political dissent, peppered with the political speech we have become so accustomed too, applying the Orwellian concepts of truth to the current political status quo.

I know we are all probably a bit sick of American bashing speeches, but the theatrical delivery and persuasive oratory of this lecture IMHO is reason enough to watch it.

I think we have to distinguish between American bashing and bashing the Bush administration.

For example Blair Bashing does not equate to Britain Bashing, I think we are clear on that one.

I have been to the USA on several occasions, have friends there and I admire the democractic and progressive state which America created.

I fear that the current Bush adminstration are tarnishing and undermining the very principles of modern democracy hence my opposition to the Bush administration.

Free speech being paramount in democratic society, but for how much longer ?

Comment

Harold Pinter was in Dr Who you know, back in the 1960s when he was an actor. He played the monk Ralpachan in the Patrick Troughton story "The Abominable Snowmen", appearing under his stage name of David Baron.

There, I think this is a subject far more befitting an IT geek board.

Comment

Yank bashing

Other than American corporate English I have no issue there.

AJP, thank you for your correction. To clarify the speech is extremely scathing when it comes to American foreign policy , more than any particular regime, but not of the American people.

I think HP's parody on the "truth" about democracy, which is apparent in many areas of the speech is also quite well done. IMHO its stuff we all know, but well articulated and delivered.
        There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Other than American corporate English I have no issue there.

AJP, thank you for your correction. To clarify the speech is extremely scathing when it comes to American foreign policy , more than any particular regime, but not of the American people.

I think HP's parody on the "truth" about democracy, which is apparent in many areas of the speech is also quite well done. IMHO its stuff we all know, but well articulated and delivered.
          Aye Sus

You know its not people who wage war , its Governments.

We cant condemn the Cambodians because they had the misfortune to be ruled by the tyrant Pol Pot.

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession.

I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

Ronald Reagan
          40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

Comment

The truth

If you really want the truth about Pinter why not consider mny version?

Pinter is a very wealthy beneficiary of the political and economic system that he is so critical of. He also knows it and is racked with guilt about it. Does he admit this ? No. Does he give up his fortune and distribute it to the victims of the system that he criticises? No. Like the true coward that he is he tries to take the moral high ground without making any personal sacrifices whatsoever.
            The man is nothing more than a selfish, self obsessed, greedy cowardly hypocrite
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Woohoo, Go DA!!!

Originally posted by DodgyAgent

Pinter is a very wealthy beneficiary of the political and economic system that he is so critical of. He also knows it and is racked with guilt about it. Does he admit this ? No. Does he give up his fortune and distribute it to the victims of the system that he criticises? No. Like the true coward that he is he tries to take the moral high ground without making any personal sacrifices whatsoever.
              The man is nothing more than a selfish, self obsessed, greedy cowardly hypocrite
              Absolutely.
              another ******* hand-wringing apologist.
              "Oh those poor people, pass me the champagne, would you, something must be done about it, I know, I'll make a speech".
              Why not?

Comment

Let's Get It Straight

The man is nothing more than a selfish, self obsessed, greedy cowardly hypocrite... who was in Dr Who.

Last edited by Scaroth of the Jagaroth; 8 December 2005, 13:20.

Comment

The Day the Music Died

Sorry wrorng thread !

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent

More cut'n'paste sludge from DA - he is well-qualified though, what with all the excrement he posts on job boards.

Comment

Working...
                    X