• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Winemaking & brewing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winemaking & brewing

My new year's resolution is to start making my own wine, and I've been researching this today.

I can't think why more people don't do it, aside from (as in my case hithertoo) bone laziness and hesitating to get into anything new, and maybe not having much spare space.

But it looks as easy as falling off a log, and not a penny of tax to pay!

Any good sites or tips welcome ...
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    My new year's resolution is to start making my own wine, and I've been researching this today.

I can't think why more people don't do it, aside from (as in my case hitherto) bone laziness and hesitating to get into anything new, and maybe not having much spare space.

Linky

And remember when we chatted about this in the ship and shovel, Wilkinsons is your best place to go for basic brewing kit.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Some recipes here:
      http://www.barnwellwinemakers.com/page5.htm

Comment

I can't think why more people don't do it, aside from (as in my case hithertoo) bone laziness and hesitating to get into anything new, and maybe not having much spare space.

Good thinking OwlHoot.

With the increased costs of alcohol and no constant nagging in my right ear, I've decided to do this too. I used to make homebrews when I was a student and some of them were quite good. I haven't tried wine though so that could be interesting.

Home Brew Shop

I think I might start a rotating monthly batch to feed my thirsty habit!
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

My new year's resolution is to start making my own wine, and I've been researching this today. I can't think why more people don't do it
          It has a poor reputation as a result of poor quality results from poor quality ingredients and methods in the past.

We now have access to proper yeasts, good quality malt and grape extracts, usable sanitisers and plastic equipment. These result in far better results than the hobby has a reputation for.

maybe not having much spare space.
          If you make beer or wine from kits, you will need very little space. That's why students can do it when living in digs or halls.

It is very easy and your local homebrew shop will tell you the little you need to know. If you start with a reasonable quality kit it will contain all the instructions you need.

Start saving up your wine bottles now. Don't bother with screw tops; their necks are weak. When you buy wine, make a point of buying wine that has a cork. Also, whenever you go to a restaurant, tell them you want the empty bottle and take it home with you. Also, ask friends & family to save them for you (in exchange for some that you will fill, of course!) You will be appalled and embarassed at how many empty bottles you accumulate in a few weeks!

Make sure you contact people today (i.e. on 1st of January) to prevent them putting their wine bottles in the recycling.

You can make beer from scratch or from kit. From scratch takes longer and produces better results. If you use a 2 can beer kit, the results will be OK. If you use a 1 can beer kit that needs sugar or spray malt, you will be disappointed.

Wine kits can cost up to and above £60 for the concentrate to make 20-odd bottles. You will easily be able to pass this off as a £10 per bottle wine. You can also buy dirt cheap wine concentrate in cans that will produce the nasty result that gave home beer and wine making a bad name.

Tell your homebrew shop person you want to make a drink you will enjoy drinking and sharing and they will advise you accordingly.

If, however, you just want to get blind drunk very cheaply, just buy white cider in the supermarket.
          Last edited by RichardCranium; 1 January 2010, 00:25. Reason: Didn't proof read it before posting.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
          X