• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Benchmarking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benchmarking

Now that the season of goodwil is nearly over, the HR morons at clientco have informed us they will be spending Q1 comparing current rates paid to us scummy contractors to industry benchmarks.

Am I right in saying benchmarking only looks at rates on Jobswerve etc? Or do they include rates for non-advertised contract stuff (i.e. the best ones?)

I can smell rate cuts brewing... again...

Yes, spot on. For "benchmarking" read "rate-chopping".
    Still, as it is being done by HR they will probably have forgotten what it was they started and moved on to something else before any real damage is done.
    Best of luck!
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I walked when they tried to rate cut, they hired me back later on the same rate. Contractors need to grow a set of balls.

Comment

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
        Now that the season of goodwil is nearly over, the HR morons at clientco have informed us they will be spending Q1 comparing current rates paid to us scummy contractors to industry benchmarks.

Am I right in saying benchmarking only looks at rates on Jobswerve etc? Or do they include rates for non-advertised contract stuff (i.e. the best ones?)

I can smell rate cuts brewing... again...
        They might subscribe to an agency's service or HR Consultancy's services which reports on market rates.

Dunno how they get their information, maybe from the agents themselves, which gives plenty of opportunity for lying about the figures?
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
          They might subscribe to an agency's service or HR Consultancy's services which reports on market rates.

Dunno how they get their information, maybe from the agents themselves, which gives plenty of opportunity for lying about the figures?
          Surely the'll be looking at what they pay the agents?
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

We used to regularly see our roles on jobserve. Once phoned up and the agent was salivating, because I was the first to respond who had actually worked on the system the client used, until I had to say, "You say this role is at XYZ? I'm so sorry to say that this must be my position you have been asked to advertise."

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              I walked when they tried to rate cut, they hired me back later on the same rate. Contractors need to grow a set of balls.

I know, I know.... have started the process of pinging old contacts to see if I can line something else up. Threatening to walk sounds much more convincing when you genuinely have another offer in your pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
                Am I right in saying benchmarking only looks at rates on Jobswerve etc?
                So thanks to Hoaxley, Ashton Kutcher etc. fishing ads you should be getting at least 700/day. Boomed.

Comment

Working...
                X